V4 Daemonic Engines feedback HERE!

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

Re: V4 Daemonic Engines feedback HERE!

Postby Guy In Suit » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:19 pm

When I read the Hellcannon, as originally worded, I thought could move and fire as the rules were so damn vague; 'like a stone-thrower' nonsense. It just makes sense to me, daemonic engines, etc.

Who wants to playtest it? Cuz god knows if it is the least bit strong and/or viable I will bitch about it. :lol:
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby Larro » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:43 pm

Guy In Suit wrote:Who wants to playtest it? Cuz god knows if it is the least bit strong and/or viable I will bitch about it. :lol:

...as you completely bend it over, Wraiths in tow, no doubt. ;)

- Larry
"Just being born means you've lost to Larro. Or haven't you gotten the memo yet?" - Nidal

"Larry was right. I know he never gets tired of hearing that." - Canterman
Larro

Postby Garrett » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:59 pm

Larro wrote:You want people taking Bolt Thrower and Bull Centaur spam as their obvious Special choices? Do you want the list to be completely devoid of Rare choices? If so, then I've got 2 words for you - mission accomplished.

- Larry

*looks up from list* There are special choices other than bull centaurs and bolt throwers?
Garrett

Postby Urgat » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:34 pm

Also, I noticed from one on my questions in another thread and the answer I got, demonic frenzy has the warmachine moves towards the closest enemy, it doesn't need LoS to do so. Scouting skirmishers in woods will have a field day with that rule.
Urgat

Postby mikkjel » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:25 pm

Until they get charged ;) I do agree that it might turn out to be gorger syndrome against good players, but if you are rampaging, you are essentially screwed anyway. Ld10 and ld9 is not a huge difference. I still think the crew should have something to do with the rampage mechanics. What about letting the machine reroll rampage as long as it has at least two crew left?
mikkjel

Postby Urgat » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:46 pm

mikkjel wrote:Until they get charged ;)

Thing is, they're pretty safe in their woods, they just stay out of sight and wait for the things to come to them. How many troops can engage skirmishers hidden out of sight in a forest? Squig hoppers, Spawns? I can't think of anything else. And then it's all good: 1) the woods are close enough and the stupid warmachine gets lost in it, losing X turns to get out, or 2) most likely, by moving towars said woods, it'll shrink it's LOS on the battlefield as the woods get in the way. Which is bad.
Urgat

Postby mattbird » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:37 pm

I think the odds of pulling this trick off are minimal, especially against a CD player who would know to avoid it. The rampaging unit comes to a stop if it hits your own units, so all you need to do is box in your machines against being pulled off, and they would be safe.

Having said that, those light skirmishing units are a real pain to deal with for CDs, and you probably WANT your war machines to be charging them, if they can.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby mikkjel » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:03 am

Boxing in your war machines is a LoS problem in a lot of cases, and against skirmishers youre likely to either be up against stuff that will kick your ass (dryads, for instance) or youre up against stuff that isnt worth running after.

The hellcannon is powerful enough to almost warrant taking a hit on reliability with its rampage, but for the rest of the machines it seems a bit too much like animosity.

Should daemonic engines be counted as daemonic for the purposes of spells?
mikkjel

Postby elrodogg » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:33 am

Wait a second, you don't test against the crew's leadership to check rampage? I thought you did so I don't see the big deal.

A fun rule could be that if joined by the daemonsmith, the machine doesn't need to check for rampage as he can soothe the raging daemons.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby mattbird » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:43 am

you do use the crews' Ld to check against rampage.

I have played with a Hellcannon for years now, and I honestly think the ability to pull the machine out into bad positions, or defeat it with light units is being overestimated. True, hardcore combat troops like dryads would kill it in a couple of rounds, maybe 1 if they get lucky, but most other armies will have matchup problems.

Toughness 5 is hard to deal with in close combat unless you have a ton of str 4 ttacks, or str5+. And fear means that many charges simply won't get off.And overall, don't forget that the machines charge 12", so will be getting off charges if they want to preempt the attacking unit.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion