Tuomas Pirinen's Chaos Dwarf book

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

Tuomas Pirinen's Chaos Dwarf book

Postby tvandyke » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:19 pm

I've just started taking a look at the Indy GT Chaos Dwarf list so this may already have been discussed, but I was wondering if anyone ever had a chance to playtest the Chaos Dwarf book that Tuomas Pirinen wrote at the end of 5th edition and, if so, were any of the rules in the Indy GT list inspired by that book? Obviously, if you didn't get the chance to play test it, you wouldn't even know what he had in it. For those of you that don't know Tuomas, he was the head Warhammer Fantasy rules developer at GW for a few years and IMO, the best they ever had. He's who is responsible for the rule changes in 6th edition. Gav Thorpe took over for him when he left GW. Anyway, his favorite army was Chaos Dwarves and he was always pushing for a real book. At the end of 5th edition, he had a new book in the works (and I think he even had some new models in the works as well) which I had the privilage of being able to playtest. I still have it after all these years. I think it got put on hold when he was tasked with rewriting Warhammer Fantasy (6th edition) and left the company shortly after 6th was released. Here's some tidbits from the list: Keep in mind this was written just prior to 6th edition so was a 5th edition book.

Here's some tidbits:

Chaos Dwarf Alchemagi (some fluff about these guys is there as well)

Expertise on War Machines: The Alchemagi may join any war machine, if he does, the war machine will ignore the first misfire result.

Slave Experiments: The Alchemagi may choose one of the Slave regiments at the beginning of the battle. He will have experimented on these unfortunate Greenskins. Roll a D6 and consult the table below.

1. Lunacy - Subject to Stupidity.

2-3. Psycotic hatred. Hatred.

4-5. Toughened. Unit causes Fear.

6. Frenzy.

The Immortals (0-1 Units)

Hand-picked warriors of the Chaos Dwarf House of Hargan (lots of fluff about the house).

Special Rules.

Stat line is same as regular Dwarves except WS=5, S=4 and I=3.

Unstoppable Assault: Ranks are not negated by enemy charging in the flank or rear. Being masters of the assault, the Immortals also ignore defended obstacles (opponents gain no bonuses for defending the wall, rampart, or other obstacle).

Ashodar Enslavers (fluff included)

Basically just dwarves that carry scimitars that are Strength 4.

Golem

M=5, WS=4, S=6, T=6, W=5, A=5, LD=10

Immune to psychology and break tests

Metal Body: Armour save of 5+ that can never be reduced by strength of attack (was this the old ward save?)

Crush: A Golem can make a single Strength 10 attack on an unmovable target such as building, chariot body, war machine, etc. This hits automatically and inflicts D6 wounds.

Upgrades:

Lavathrower = 50 points (breath weapon, S4 -2 save modifier)

Great Hammer = 20 points (+1 Strength, you can buy two and get an extra attack)

Daemon Crystal = 50 points (2+ save against the effects of a spell, nowadays would probably be MR 3 or something)

High Powered Engine= 40 points (Gains +1M, +1S, +1A, but will suffer double wounds from enemy attacks because the machinery is more delicate)

Furnace of Hashut = 50 points (May use the Furnace at the beginning of each turn. It gains +2 M and +D6 attacks, but suffers D6 S6 hits in the process)

Armoured plating = 35 points (Gets an unmodified save of 4+ instead of 5+)

Rest of the army is the same as what's available now.
tvandyke

Re: Tuomas Pirinen's Chaos Dwarf book

Postby mattbird » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:33 pm

these sounds awesome! do you know if a full list is available anywhere?
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby tvandyke » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:44 pm

I don't know. I doubt it. If you ever done any playtesting, you know how secret those lists are kept. I still have my copy, but it's a hard copy. I didn't think I had it anymore but I started to dig through some things and there it was. I was curious if I still had after seeing parts of the Indy GT list. The copy I have includes plenty of fluff. It's about 15 pages long. I'm pretty sure that the last two Chaos Dwarf warrior models that were produced (the two guys with double handed axe and smaller hats) were a result of this effort.
tvandyke

Postby mattbird » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:56 pm

yah, we used to be one of the playtest teams before they dissolved external testing last year, I know they are tight with stuff. We didn't start testing til 6th ed Ogres, IIRC, though.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby tvandyke » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:08 pm

If I get some time tomorrow, I'll type up the fluff for the new units. The point totals were 5th edition, so tended to be a bit higher so there probably isn't much value in that anyway. I'm guessing the fluff and new units is where the value would be.
tvandyke

Postby WickerNipple » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:10 pm

Scan it up, I'll host it.
WickerNipple

Return to General discussion