I am planning short trip to NYC... can someone help!

General club news, events, questions, introductions and suchwot.

I am planning short trip to NYC... can someone help!

Postby The Necro Guy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:45 am

Hey guys, I am trying to plan a short trip to NYC with my girlfriend for a little getaway. Neither one of us have been to NYC so I don't really have a clue on where to stay at a reasonable price, or what part of town, etc. Can someone give me a little help on this subject. We want to see the city, hit the museum of natural history, go to central park, etc.. So what do you think, got any ideas? Thanks guys!!

Jason Holliday
The Necro Guy

Re: I am planning short trip to NYC... can someone help!

Postby WickerNipple » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:56 am

Are you adventurous or willing to put up with weird/quirky/arty?

If so I highly recommend http://www.carltonarms.com/ as the best place to stay in nyc on a budget.

It's technically more or less a hostel, but you can get a private bath for 2 for $130/night. It's not gonna get cheaper than that in the city. It's also in a fantastic location - easy train options, walk to practically anywhere (not the museums, but), right next to Curry Hill if you enjoy Indian food, etc etc.

No TVs, etc. But walking NYC is better than any TV in the world.
WickerNipple

Postby Guy In Suit » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:00 pm

The midtown Holiday Inn express sometimes has $100 specials if you can snag them.

Otherwise my advice is don't eat anywhere within 5 blocks of Times Square.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby The Necro Guy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:40 pm

Thanks you guys for the info on the Carlton hotel, and holiday inn. I checked out the carlton and it looks pretty hip, and the area doesn't look to bad either. But why should I not eat within 5 blocks of time square?

Jason
The Necro Guy

Postby VectorAWX3 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:54 pm

The food is expensive and derives all of its flavor from buckets of salt and cheese and such. Picture eating at Applebee's for a week straight. Not good. We can recommend plenty of great places to eat you'll never find otherwise... just tell us your budget and what you're looking for.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby Alamoth » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:03 pm

This is completely untrue. I work at 49th and 7th avenue and there are a ton of restaurants and bars in the area that are both good and fairly priced. It's no $2 Falafel in the Village but its usually quality meals for two for ~$25 and not at Applebee's or Red Lobster or the Olive Garden. A few examples:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pongsri-thai-re ... new-york-2
http://www.yelp.com/biz/carmines-new-york
http://www.yelp.com/biz/baluchis-new-york-7 (Not really Time Square, actually Columbus Circle which is the SW Corner of Central Park)

If you want cheaper food then you'll be heading to the Village for it.

Of course you'll want to come by the Complete Strategist (33rd and 5th) on Thursday evening to say hi to us!
Death to the False Emperor
Alamoth

Postby WickerNipple » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:18 pm

When will you be here and for how long? I'm sure we can inundate you with options from tame to brave.

Carmine's is a NYC classic, but totally suffers from Time Square overpricedness and hit or missedness. If you want just massive portions it's yer place, but I've always found it pretty crappy all things considered. Baluchi's is fine for a chain, but why recommend the UWS one when there's one near Times Square which is what we're talking about? There's also one right near the Carlton if you choose to stay there -- but again if you want Indian I'd recommend anything in Curry Hill over it, and that's right next door too.

Regardless, I'm sure we could all come up with a dozen places we love and everyone else would bite our head off cause they hate it. Everyone's 10 best restaurants or things to do in NYC are no doubt pretty massively different, but I'd stick to the "avoid anything near Times Square" rule in general as well. It's an interesting place to walk through if you've never seen it, but the whole neighborhood exists these days to bilk tourists, and excels at it!

I think the real question is whether you and the missus are willing to challenge the mechanical bull or dare to dip into Nidal's nightlife. :lol:

Beyond that, biggest thing is budget. Other than housing you can do NYC for very, very, very cheap if you're willing to slum it. Or you can spend a fortune, or anything in between.

And if you're around on Thurs you should definitely stop in and say hello. Not sure how enthused the ladyfriend is with your geeky hobby, but we go out to the pub afterwards with a big mixed crowd and it's always nice to see familiar faces in a foreign town. We're also right next door to the Empire State Building... so you know you'll be in the neighborhood anyway. ;)
WickerNipple

Postby The Necro Guy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:51 am

Thanks everyone for all your info!

I am not sure when we will be there. We are looking to come when it gets warmer, so probably around May. When does it start to get nice there, not to hot, but the cold has finally gone away sort fo nice?

All the restaurants you guys mentioned sound great, and the Carlton Hotel looks nice also. I even got a message from one of you guys offering us a place to stay on his third floor guest room, so thank you to everyone!! You guys have once again proven you are definately a cut above the rest!

We are going to try for a long weekend. Take Friday and Monday off from work, and try to leave Thursday night after work. We of course want to see all the toursity stuff like the Empire state Building, Central Park, Times Square, but we also want to see the city as non toursity too, things the common out of towner might not see or experience, or restaurants that have been there for generations, not your typical chain crap.

I will keep you guys posted all along the way so maybe you guys can help us plan something here or there and give suggestions, or wave red flags and yell STAY AWAY!!! LOL

Anyways, more later, but feel free to reply at anytime, don't wait for me! We are planning now, saving money and if we need to buy ticketrs for something that takes tickets where we have to buy said tickets in advance then by all means please let us know about those said tickets whatever those tickets might end up being! :-)... Maybe a show or something of the like.

Thanks again, talk soon!

Jason
The Necro Guy

Postby WickerNipple » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:58 am

May tends to be pretty good - but Spring in NYC is generally a crapshoot. It's lovely, but it's often a week long and we go straight from rainy cold to hot humid nastiness. Not hot humid nastiness like Orlando though, so you may not even notice.
WickerNipple

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:03 pm

Sometimes there's that nice 45 minutes of lamb-frolic-ing, baby duck, butterfly weather. Sometimes. I hear.
Emperors Reckoning

Next

Return to Warmonger Club