Storage Advice - please look & respond!

General club news, events, questions, introductions and suchwot.

Storage Advice - please look & respond!

Postby KevinC » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:01 pm

I live in Manhattan and space is obviously tight. I have a small space at Manhattan Mini-storage at a great rate, but it's full of my junk at this point.

So I have tons of miniatures, books, comics, etc, but I don't have enough space...considering getting another storage room or upgrading to something larger.

But anyway, I wanted to ask you guys, what do you do with your stuff?

Note, I really don't want to sell my collections, but perhaps I should. Is it insane that I have thousands of comic books? Do people normally just get rid of this stuff these days?

All thoughts and opinions extremely welcomed.

Kevin out
Common Goblins iz da best!!

Check out my Gobbos at:http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=28856

'I am the son of Aenarion, and where my blade falls, death follows.'
- Malekith, Prince of Nagarythe
KevinC

Re: Storage Advice - please look & respond!

Postby VectorAWX3 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:34 pm

I was in the same boat as you. I had tons of stuff I ddin't want to get rid of JUST IN CASE.... Then I moved from lots-of-space-Brooklyn to no-space-Manhattan. And I've been dumping all my old stuff. It was actually easier for me to keep things, as I could stuff it into my folks' place, but in the end, what's the point? We live in a universe where you CAN get that 1982 grenadier pegasus, if you really wanted to. And those comics you have.... when was the last time you read Darkhawk #12 or Amazing Spiderman #284? It hasn't happened since you bought it... it's never going to happen.

My opinion, get rid of ANYTHING you can replace. This includes old minis you're never going to paint (you know which ones those are) old comics you're never going to read again, etc. Remember, if you ever want them again, you can buy them. Sure, they might cost a touch more than what you sell them for right now, but you're saving on storage costs.

As a final note, I personallly never sell armies I painted myself, though some people do for whatever reason. To me, that's a personal investment of time I can't buy back, hence they're priceless to me.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby KevinC » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:16 pm

Nidal that helps a lot. Thanks. Totally agree with not selling painted armies...

More comments/opinions/experiences, please?
Common Goblins iz da best!!

Check out my Gobbos at:http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=28856

'I am the son of Aenarion, and where my blade falls, death follows.'
- Malekith, Prince of Nagarythe
KevinC

Postby WickerNipple » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:27 am

The things you own end up owning you.
WickerNipple

Postby mattbird » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:51 am

I had 20 long boxes of comics, and decided that "enough was enough". I ruthlessly either gave away to charity, sold, or literally threw away 75% of them. I don't miss them at all. And the money I got from selling them let me buy a bunch of comics I normally would not have been able to afford.

minis are always easy to buy and sell. If you have any old metal minis that you don't want, you can throw them out at the metal mini dumping grounds in Ridgewood, NJ.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby Bauhaus » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:00 am

I wouldn't get rid of your comics - unless you have a lot that really do not have much value (sentamental or otherwise.) Twenty or thirty years from now they could be of considerably more value to you.

I have a basement full of boxes of things I thought were cool. I'm finding it difficult to get rid of them. But I"m not collecting more stuff - I'm just keeping the old. Maybe the best thing to do is keep your current space. Make a deal with yourself - if you have a new box to add to storage get rid of an old one. Decide to have only 1000 comics or 5,000 minis (whaterver a good number is) and try to keep your collection(s) at that limit.

On the other hand, it's just stuff and keeping it or getting rid of it is all in your mind. (I tend towards keeping it.) By the way, I hope you don't have any inexpensive furniture or equipment in there.
Blood for the Blood God!
Bauhaus

Postby mattbird » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:11 am

Bauhaus wrote:I wouldn't get rid of your comics - unless you have a lot that really do not have much value (sentamental or otherwise.) Twenty or thirty years from now they could be of considerably more value to you.

No they won't. At least not monetarily.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby VectorAWX3 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:15 am

Keep in mind that Dave owns a house in NJ. ;)
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby Guy In Suit » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:43 pm

There is little I find more depressing than old comic books... Then again, atleast they don't weigh a bajillion pounds like old hardbound books. :?
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby WickerNipple » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:51 pm

Yeah while we're at it who wants White Dwarf 2002-2006 and dozens of 2nd-3rd edition D&D books? :lol: Nice Rifts/Paladium collection too. Hawt!
WickerNipple

Next

Return to Warmonger Club