A Replacement for Warhammer?

General club news, events, questions, introductions and suchwot.

A Replacement for Warhammer?

Postby GroGacTor » Thu May 20, 2010 6:17 pm

Any suggestions on a Warhammer replacement?

So, now that I have finally quit Warhammer I need a game to replace it. To meet my criteria the new game should not do what Warhammer does in the following
areas:

1) Unbalance the game every few months by releasing a new Army book with all kinds of funky special rules, etc.
2) Release a new edition every few years in the middle of updating the Army books to further unbalance things and make me buy a another new book.

To summarize, the new game should:

1) Be relatively balanced
2) Not release new editions every new moon
3) People should actually play this game - one good thing about Warhammer is there are a relatively lot of players. A great game with no opponent isn't
very helpful
4) Size of battles doesn't really matter - can be large scale as log as I can stand in my warhammer models, if I'm going to have to buy new then skirmish size
would be better

Any suggestions?

Thanks
GroGacTor

Re: A Replacement for Warhammer?

Postby WickerNipple » Thu May 20, 2010 6:35 pm

Chess fits every criteria!
WickerNipple

Postby Pariah » Thu May 20, 2010 7:33 pm

I'm told Warhammer Ancients tones down a lot of the garbage in WFB, but it would be a lot more difficult finding games. One day I'm going to paint an army for it... one day...

Flames of War is far better balanced and people actually play it. Not sure if it's ahead of Warmachine/Hordes or not in terms of popularity.

Speaking of which, I'm not sure about War Machine/Hordes in terms of balance, but people seem to like it. I played it a few times and it was fun. I do know the minis are widely available and have excellent design. Better than a lot of the stuff GW puts out, especially some of their more long in the tooth molds.

If this were 10 years ago, I'd tell you to play Chronopia. Far superior game mechanics to anything GW has ever produced. Too bad the company shot themselves in the face while running backwards off a cliff in the middle of a fiery maelstrom. They basically took a game that was great because it had good mechanics and was actually reasonably priced, and flushed it down the toilet. This was around the time where GW had been hemorrhaging players and they were sweeping them up. This was short lived when they ruined their own game mechanics with a new edition and raised all of their prices to match GW's. Right before they did this, they released an expansion to their main game which was so awful, it chased everyone away from the game right before they did this major overhaul. It was epic failure on such a grand scale it was actually fun to watch.

Heavy Gear used to be a great, balanced game with insanely good minis. Not sure how the new one plays. Again, you'll have trouble finding players...

I can tell you though, after playing the "Escape From GW" game several times, I always ended coming back. I would end up spending a fortune on minis from other companies and taking the time to learn other systems, only to find no one else ever played those games. Unless you have a relatively decent sized gaming group who you can convince to switch over to a new system, you will be starved for games. I find that if you like painting minis and putting models together, the fact that you can find games readily, and that they have such a large gaming community, makes GW games worth playing despite their massive flaws. If you really can't deal with GW, their absolutely abysmal game design, and their robber baron business practices (and I can't blame you), you should probably look for another hobby.
Pariah

Postby Amazonwarlord » Thu May 20, 2010 9:14 pm

Flames of War is far better balanced and people actually play it. Not sure if it's ahead of Warmachine/Hordes or not in terms of popularity.

That is variable depending on location. I can say that with the exception of the new MK II rules that just came out for Privateer Press, they change rules very little. They do constantly add new units to keep the game fresh and their revinues fresher, which is a good thing.

Andy has posted perhaps, the best option in Chess. It's a game anyone can play and you can take a lifetime to master. The size of the game is always the same and it is exquisitly balanced. Minis are readily available and conversions are welcome. In fact, you can start playing online or against your computer and don't neede the minis at all. It is played just about everywhere in the world.

Good luck in your search.
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby Jeramakus » Thu May 20, 2010 9:49 pm

Star Grunt. It can be played in both 15m and 25mm. Very balanced game because there's no points values. You basically field what you want within some loose guidelines and agree with your opponent as to what the stats are for each of your units. The rules are free and the armies are cheap and as diverse as you want them to be since there are tons of quality manufacturers out there.
Andy on Lou's 300-inspired foray into Ancients:
"And remember Lou, Historicals people go nuts over historical accuracy. Therefore it's critically important you quote the movie with that accent as much as possible while playing every game."
Jeramakus

Postby Amazonwarlord » Fri May 21, 2010 9:20 am

oo, cool.
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby Kirika » Fri May 21, 2010 1:19 pm

I've played both Flamers of War and Warmachine. Have a German Tiger Division for Flamers of War and a Khador army for Warmachine.

Flames of War popularity really depends on your area. There used to be a decent following near me in NJ but it sort of died out recently. Game balance is pretty good for Flames of War and you can get minis pretty cheaply as any 15mm WWII mini works.

Warmachine is a bit more popular from what I observed. Few stores near me have regular warmachine nights. Warmachine is different its more like Magic with minis in that there are some pretty powerful combos and it feels like who gets their combo off first wins. Its a fun game if you like that sort of thing. MKII dumbed down some of the combos but there are still alot of combos. Warmachine is a bit more expensive then flames of war and probably is about as expensive as 40k if you want to have two 35 pt forces and a 50 pt list for tournaments. Really depends if your running Infantry heavy it will be more expensive. If your running Beasts or Warmachine mostly it costs less.

Chess is a good option. I still play occasionally on yahoo.
Kirika

Postby GroGacTor » Sat May 22, 2010 1:37 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll look into them.

Chess is a great game, though I meant a similar 'hobby' to Warhammer. Although, I guess I can use miniatures as playing pieces!

I've seen the rule books for Flames of War look really expensive but if I can find some players to introduce the rules to me I should check it out.

Kirika, where in new Jersey are you? I'm in NJ too, but haven't really found any wargaming communities that are any closer than a 45 minute ride on some freeway.
GroGacTor

Postby Kirika » Mon May 24, 2010 1:11 pm

I'm in central NJ. I play mostly at 2 different shops.

The Only Game in Town in Somerville http://www.togit.com has a good Warmachine community if you can make it there Thursday Nights for the league night. You can get Warmachine games on Fridays and Saturdays too. Flames of War isn't doing so well there they hold some events and there are some players but its not a regular thing. They doing a Planet strike 40k campaign in the summer I heard but you just quit warhammer. There is a good Magic community here as well.

Also play at The Gamer's Realm http://www.gamersrealm.com
They have some Warmachine players there but not as many as The Only Game in Town. I mostly play Magic and 40k here.
Kirika

Postby mattbird » Tue May 25, 2010 11:50 am

I can vouch for Warmachine/Hordes in all respects. Great fun game, easy to find opponents.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Next

Return to Warmonger Club