A Replacement for Warhammer?

General club news, events, questions, introductions and suchwot.

Re: A Replacement for Warhammer?

Postby subversive » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:30 pm

That infinity conversion makes me think of dancing hippos or elephants.

subversive

Postby Guy In Suit » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:46 pm

It looks like he is trying to make a suit from Appleseed.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby Pariah » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:34 pm

He is indeed trying to make the suit from Appleseed...

Pariah

Postby Anger Worm » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:32 pm

I recommend buying a lot of old GI Joe toys and playing with them on your floor. They come pre-painted and you can probably rip some kid off on the cheap. Provided me with countless hours of fun, and I didn't have to deal with rules updates and game balance. Joe always won, so it became a game of creative narrative.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby Guy In Suit » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:54 am

I prefer the more open-environment style of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The increased scale also alowed for more dynamic detail on the models. Role-playing at its finest.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby Amazonwarlord » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:10 pm

LOL :lol:
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby Miles Gloriousus » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:30 pm

Pariah wrote:I'm told Warhammer Ancients tones down a lot of the garbage in WFB, but it would be a lot more difficult finding games. One day I'm going to paint an army for it... one day...

Flames of War is far better balanced and people actually play it. Not sure if it's ahead of Warmachine/Hordes or not in terms of popularity.

As far as Warmonger club goes, getting opponents for Ancients is easy. We play nearly every Thursday, and now there are probably a few more of us than there were six months ago. WAB as its known is a fun, simple game that reminds you why you liked Warhammer to begin with.

Flames of War is 15mm WWII, and not a game that can be compared to Warhammer. It's apples and oranges. It's a GREAT game - I've got three armies I enjoy playing. However, as far as the club goes, its been in a two-year dormancy. I think there are only three of us left with armies and we never play.

Disposable Heroes and Coffin for Seven Brothers is a ruleset for 28 mm WWII - and unlike FoW - its a platoon level game, not a battalion level game. Right now, there are five of us who are playing and using different armies - Germans, Americans, Brits and French are currently in play. No Russians yet. The minis are made by a wide variety of manufacturers and many of them are great, a lot more fun to paint than FoW 15s, and the rules are very intuitive and easy to learn if someone who plays already walks you through it. And fielding early war tanks is a total hoot. :lol:

John
"Let haste be made! I cannot be delayed:
There are lands to conquer, cities to loot and peoples to degrade!" -- Miles Gloriousus
Miles Gloriousus

Postby Miles Gloriousus » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:33 pm

Forgot to mention that right now at HMGS historical conventions - WAB and FoW are the two most popular tournaments based on participation. Behind WAB on the ancients side is FoG, which is quite good, but again, apples and organges - its 15mm grand tactical level ancient gaming.
There are lands to conquer, cities to loot and peoples to degrade!" -- Miles Gloriousus
Miles Gloriousus

Postby SteveinNYC » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:38 pm

Why not Napoleonics? Great colors on the uniforms, wide troop variety and movement is central to the game.
SteveinNYC

Postby Miles Gloriousus » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:59 am

Napoleonics in 15mm used to be the standard historical gaming experience, but it's been surpassed by other games and hampered by the fact that nearly everyone has their favorite ruleset and there are dozens of them out there.

Now, 28mm Napoleonics is catching on with rules like LaSalle and Black Powder driving the interest. A lot of great 28mm models have been cast in plastic, too, from Perry Brothers and Victrix, among others.

However, these are still cooperative games, not competitive ones. I'd be curious to see just how tournaments could work using 28s.
Miles Gloriousus

PreviousNext

Return to Warmonger Club