Tips for running a tourney

General club news, events, questions, introductions and suchwot.

Re: Tips for running a tourney

Postby Miles Gloriousus » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:53 pm

I always give out an award for "Forlorn Hope", which is the person who had the absolute lowest battle points. If there's a tie, it goes the person who had the best sportsmanship score among those with the worst battle points. On occasion - as at Fall In - the person who got forlorn hope also got best sportsman and two great prizes. It was a good day for him.
"Let haste be made! I cannot be delayed:
There are lands to conquer, cities to loot and peoples to degrade!" -- Miles Gloriousus
Miles Gloriousus

Postby theblackprince » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:05 am

Guys: a big thanks for this. I kept all this in mind and the event ended up going really well. Sold 11 tickets out of twelve, and started the day with a couple of kill team games, then had lunch and switched upto 1700 points, and had two games in the afternoon.

It was a campaign day rather than a tourney, so I split the players into two teams: imperial vs enemies of humanity. (Had one Thousand Sons Tempus Fugites army list; three space wolves, raven wing; death wing; one ad mech IG army; blood angels (fallen); hunt for voldorius list of white scars and raven guard combined; and bog standard sm )

I was gm-ing througout, and over lunch I gave the team captains the battle scenarios that they would be playing after lunch. They assigned the mission to their armies, and then turned up at the tables and found who they were playing. These were all missions that simulated an attack on an imperial world (so chaos were the attackers in a range of missions)

The last round the missions were handed out randomly, to simulate armies being thrown into the battle. I also had written a range of extra secret mission objectives: which ranged from killing the enemy general, wiping out the most expensive units, getting troops off enemy's table edge to go and infiltrate - some of which were worth more points than winning the game.

Points were just lose-draw-win, and went into the team score. Awards were handed out to the winning team, and trophies for Best Kill Team, Best Sportsman (everyone voted for their favourite player of the day) and Renaissance Man (the Enlightened Gamer) and was a combo of sports, paints and kill team.

Once everything was set up it ran surprisingly smoothly - but not being a tourney i guess there was less stress and pressure. Feedback was great: though I would have done more pre-event story telling in the future, so people had time to get more into it, and paint up new figures/kill teams etc.

I'd also have more inter-table-action - so that what happens on one table affected others (ie: earthshaker batteries able to shoot at another table would be one; victorious units able to move between tables) and also having the results of one game feeding into the next. And planning bigger events next time. We're lucky that the shop lets us host these events for free. we're reinvesting the money into terrain for the shop: and i think next time it'd be good to aim for something big, like the Amphelion Project space base.

You can see pics here http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 779&ref=mf
theblackprince

Postby Anger Worm » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:51 pm

Looks like good fun. I like the narrative thread running through the whole thing. Team tournaments are a blast!
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby theblackprince » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:38 pm

thanks guys again: this was great. Fantasy doubles tourney coming up next month. Shame you wont be there....!
theblackprince

Postby Guy In Suit » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:56 pm

You should post it, you never know! ;)
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Previous

Return to Warmonger Club