Organizing a team tournament

General club news, events, questions, introductions and suchwot.

Organizing a team tournament

Postby robk » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:05 pm

All,
I am organizing a 2-Day tournament at Br Grim (Long Island, NY) for the August Timeframe. I’m trying to gauge interest in the following format. A team tournament utilizing multiple game systems.
I plan on running 4 tournaments during the Sat-Sun: Fantasy, 40K and then 2 others (Malifaux, WarmaHordes. Flames of War, Not sure yet)
Each of the systems tournaments will be run separately for the most part. There will be prizes and trophies for each system as well as larger prizes/trophies for the best teams.
A team would consist of a member for each game system, 4 members. I’m sure there will be mercenaries available for systems that you might not have people playing in.
I’m thinking that, if you cannot field a person for each system them you will still be eligible for the team trophies (Any missing game system will use the average score for that game system). So it will be difficult to win if you are missing a system but not impossible.
I’m debating allowing a team to have more than 1 person per system and just use the highest score for each system (Not sure about this item).
Just trying to gauge interest at this point. I believe we would have space for around 16-20 teams, maybe more depending upon additional space that might be available.
If you’d be interested in this please shoot me an email at robertbkopp at yahoo
robk

Re: Organizing a team tournament

Postby Guy In Suit » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:19 pm

I'm sure the warmongers can bring at least a pair of teams as long as one system isn't flames of war. We have every other system you mentioned covered pretty well.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby WickerNipple » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:06 pm

We have FoW, it's just been ages since it's been played down at the club. I'm sure by August we could get back to grips with it if we had incentive.
WickerNipple

Postby mattbird » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:18 am

hmm, kind of weird to have this split across 4 systems, IMO.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby Fool » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:48 am

I really enjoy the idea of it being split into 4 game systems, seems a little intense to be running a 2-day Malifaux/Warmahordes tournament (what is that like 12 games?) and I can image logistics will be very difficult.

That being said I'd still love to play and would make the trip out in a heartbeat (with either Fantasy or Malifaux)

You might even consider only running 3 person teams, with like a "Fantasy + 40k + (Choice of Malifaux/Warmahordes/FoW)" Would be easier for people to field teams and still have the diversity you want. Plus if a month before the tournament there aren't enough people for one of the "smaller" systems you can just drop it without massively changing the makeup of the tournament.
http://www.dogbark.com
Shamelessly promoting the company I work for, host your website with us.
Fool

Postby Anger Worm » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:34 pm

Sounds a bit unusual but it could be interesting. Perhaps gauge interest and do teams proportional to the response for each system?
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby Guy In Suit » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:36 pm

This could be great a con where you have tons of people playing.

Even better would be a wargamer ironman type team event where each on the 4 players plays one game of EACH system. Bonkers but a true challenge!
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby robk » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:45 pm

That is bonkers. I'll know more about interest in the early April timeframe and expect to see something in mid/late april.
robk

Postby mattbird » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:12 pm

Guy In Suit wrote:Even better would be a wargamer ironman type team event where each on the 4 players plays one game of EACH system. Bonkers but a true challenge!

that would be epic.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:38 am

Rob, this is a fun idea, a sort of gamer pentathalon. It would almost have to be a two day deal. My suggestion; two man or three man teams, everybody plays all gaming systems (for schedule management reasons more than anything else), then take the highest score from each flight of games for the team score. That gives you dual acheivement paths, so that teams would be able to assure best performance in each system, and the individuals can be recognized as well.

Grim has a lot of space, which is nice. Has their scenery situation improved?
Emperors Reckoning

Next

Return to Warmonger Club