Anyone making it down tomorrow night?

General club news, events, questions, introductions and suchwot.

Anyone making it down tomorrow night?

Postby Jeramakus » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:33 pm

I live in Jersey so the strike's not that much of an issue for me. I'll come down if someone's there for 40k...
Andy on Lou's 300-inspired foray into Ancients:
"And remember Lou, Historicals people go nuts over historical accuracy. Therefore it's critically important you quote the movie with that accent as much as possible while playing every game."
Jeramakus

Re: Anyone making it down tomorrow night?

Postby mauleed » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:32 pm

How is that Transit strike going? Seems pretty dire from the news reports.
mauleed

Postby Jeramakus » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:55 pm

From a non-affected person's standpoint, it sucks for those that really need to get to work. Interesting to note who's trying to help the situation and who's making a profit. The Jersey PATH system has set up a special service from 33rd Street down to the WTC. Standard rates. Taxis and livery cars have been basically "war profiteers" and charging higher amounts. On the flip side of THAT, I read a quote on NYTimes.com about a livery driver who needed to get into Manhattan himself so offered free rides to three people just to make the carpool minimum.
"And remember Lou, Historicals people go nuts over historical accuracy. Therefore it's critically important you quote the movie with that accent as much as possible while playing every game."
Jeramakus

Postby Amazonwarlord » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:07 pm

As far as taxis go .. isn't part of the contingency plan to have flat rate zones and taking more than one fare per car ride. I think it was $10 per rider in a given zone (4 are in manhattan and another 4 or so in the other buroughs). I forget how much per zone crossed. This, I guess, eliminates being punished for sitting in the middle of the terrible traffic caused by the strike and 2 fares or more per ride helps with efficiency (HOV taxis
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby Jeramakus » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:08 pm

I wasn't aware of the "zoning". If that's the case then there's the explanation for what I thought was price gouging and "higher" prices...
Jeramakus

Postby VectorAWX3 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:19 pm

Zoning is in effect. It's a rate per zone, per passenger. And multiple people can be picked up and dropped off. So it gives incentives to the cabs to carry as many people as possible while maintaining decent fares for the passengers. MOST cabs/livery drivers are going by this, but there is some gouging going on. You want the brooklyn livery service by my house to pick you up and take you somewhere? You'd better "tip" the dispatcher VERY well. Otherwise, a car "might not be available". :rolleyes
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby elrodogg » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:23 pm

It's $10 each zone, with an extra $5 for each zone crossed. I took a cab yesterday and it ended up only being 4 dollars more. As for the strike, let them strike. I give credit where credit is due and they've shown they have the testicular fortitude to go on. Plus, fuck the MTA.

That said, game on tomorrow after work. :D
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby VectorAWX3 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:38 pm

I wonder how long some of these guys can last on strike? 2Xdaily wages? Ouch! I know I couldn't handle that for very long if I want to pay my NY rent.

I think the big sticking point isn't the percentage raise, it's the retirement age. 62 instead of 55 (which won't even apply to current employees). Are they kidding?!?!?! I feel no sympathy. You join an organization knowing it's illegal to strike in return for massive job security and excellent benefits, you'd better learn to deal.

There were better ways to handle this on the union's part, IMHO. A massive service slowdown would have been just as effective and saved the workers all sorts of money they need. (Someone--ie GENE:lol --can crunch the numbers and figure out how long it would take the average MTA employee to recoup his 2x daily wage fine with the increase of another 1 or 2 %.) I imagine that after a week of striking, it would be a long, long time.

I managed to get a car ride into the city today. All I could think of as I saw the thousands of SUV's was "the air is going to be GREAT next week!" It's an environmental disaster. (Frankly, I think they should make ALL personal traffic into Manhattan during rushhours 3+ passengers, but that's just me.)
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby Amazonwarlord » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:53 pm

I actually agree with Nidal on the strike thing. I mean really. And I think the union is really stiking it to the everyday Joe for things that are going to be common place ( and are for many of us). retirement age 62 is fairly reasonable. Paying into your health care benefits? C'mon. I've been doing that the last 11 years and as a healthcare worker to boot. My current employer pays healthcare for full timers (figures, I'm only part time there and have been waiting for a full time spot for 3 yeas) but only the single rate. Families pay above that rate.

I say the poor schmuck freezing his balls off out there on the picket line is the one being taken for a ride. But then again, I am a bit naive on these matters
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby The Gunslinger » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:55 pm

I guess I'll still show up, but I'm not playing yet. :(
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Next

Return to Warmonger Club