Rogues Den Closes

General club news, events, questions, introductions and suchwot.

Rogue's Den Closes

Postby -nyguy50 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:44 pm

Just read an announcement that the Rogue's Den Store has closed. It was posted yesterday on their web site. Sad Day.
-nyguy50

Re: Rogue's Den Closes

Postby Amazonwarlord » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:01 am

Yeah, what a great place man. It's really too bad
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby AndyP » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:46 am

Sad news :(

It was ceratinly the best games store I've ever been to.

Andy P
Duncan: I don't think you really comprehend the enthusiasm many people have for all things Potter.
AndyP

Postby -onimusha » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:57 pm

Yeah... it's very sad indeed. I would have been there more often had they been closer to NYC. What a nice group of guys who ran that place... very sad...
-onimusha

Postby -LcKedovan » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:20 pm

For those of us that have been off-board visiting planet Regularlife for a month what happened?

-W
-LcKedovan

Postby -onimusha » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:01 am

No one's sure exactly, but they were having financial problems...
-onimusha

Postby -Lyandras » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:53 pm

Lots of financial problems. They basically ran out of money, and were losing a bit each month. Checks started bouncing at distributors, and lots of people weren't getting paid. They couldn't get new product from Battlefront, GW, etc. without paying off the prior bills, and weren't returning phonecalls when people tried to contact them about the bills. Some friends helped them along with small amounts of money, (still in the thousands, but small compared to the overall debt), and those people will be losing that money, nothings getting paid back. They are a couple months behind on utilities, and the landlord. From what I heard, the landlord was going to shut them down first part of December.

Of the original people who were part owners, Darrin had moved his stuff out a couple weeks earlier, and Tom hadn't been involved for a year. Troy spent a lot of time setting up a side business at the Pennsylvania Renfair and was out there for most weekends. Harry was pretty much the mainstay owner/employee, but he was always the comics side of the business, and didn't handle the gaming. Troy was doing all the financials. Joe, who was the manager for the first year or so, had quit a few months prior.

Troy started clearing out his office on a Sunday, and by Tuesday it was pretty much known that they were closing up. They ran a 40% off sale through the weekend, and then shut the doors. Not much was left at that point, and supposedly the bank that they had a loan with was coming to take what was left of the stuff like the big screen tv and couches.

The only reason the NEWCC went off, was because of a herculean effort of work and money that Jim Porter put in, and a lot of work by Brent, Ed, and some other folks. It would have been a disaster without them getting the place ready all week. The tournament was pretty much the end, and it slid fast after that.

In the end, it was a neat set up, that had high overhead, and needed more work to keep it going, and more sales to pay the bills.
-Lyandras

Postby Bauhaus » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:45 pm

Mybe not so many "owners" wouldn't have hurt either... but sometimes "owners" don't get paid much...

Life of the small business operator.
Blood for the Blood God!
Bauhaus

Return to Warmonger Club