Eisenhorn - Ravenor Series of Books

General club news, events, questions, introductions and suchwot.

Eisenhorn - Ravenor Series of Books

Postby -GESSIG » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:04 pm

I just finished the Eisenhorn trilogy which I enjoyed and I am starting the Ravenor books.

I just wondered what people thought of them. If your response is negative or you feel there is much better material out there, please don't hesitate to make some recommendations.

Thanks.
-GESSIG

Re: Eisenhorn - Ravenor Series of Books

Postby Jeramakus » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:11 pm

The Eisenhorn Trilogy was amazing! I couldn't put them down and finished them in rapid succession. I have both of the Ravenor books and they're in the queue. Can't get enough of that Eisenhorn, though...
Andy on Lou's 300-inspired foray into Ancients:
"And remember Lou, Historicals people go nuts over historical accuracy. Therefore it's critically important you quote the movie with that accent as much as possible while playing every game."
Jeramakus

Postby -Thrax » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:56 pm

The Eisenhorn Trilogy was excellent. I liked it more than Abnett's Gaunt books. It was a solid mix of "extended world" fiction and original sci-fi; it's also extremely influential in the fluff world of 40K/Inquisitor. In many ways, Abnett is absolutely essential reading if you're into fluff at all.

I've only read Ravenor (haven't got the second one yet). I liked it, but not as much as the Eisenhorn books. But still better than average for Black Library works!

T.
-Thrax

Postby gabaff » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:05 pm

Personally i like the first two books in Eisenhorn trilogy but the third was kind of Meh.
Not to ruin too much of the context of the books i think the general feeling about Eisenhorn character changed too fast too easily from book one to book three.
Book one and two kept a nice pace in character transformation while book three felt kind of rushed.
gabaff

Postby -Thrax » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:56 pm

I agree with you completely, Gabaff. The story felt hurried, and it was almost as if he was trying too hard to tie in all the loose ends. The whole thing with Pontius Glaw at the end -- he just sort of shows up and BAM, that's it, he's dead. I know he was "behind the scenes" the whole time, but it just wasn't enough. The one thing I did like about the third one was the whole Inquisitorial backstabbing. I wanted more of that. The first two books were punchy, expansive, yet self-contained.

I've got the Omnibus edition, with all three in one, so it's easy for me to regard the whole thing as "one" work, but it's really three. I'm sure if I read them in staggered form I would have been more annoyed, but since I was able to rip through them, it's all blended into one pleasant experience.

T.
-Thrax

Postby -phelan65 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:41 am

I thought I was the only person who had a major problem with the 3rd was so rushed and took away from the other books because the charecters which was built up and killed badly,and please a daemonhost taking out a TITAN jeesh.The Ghost books have great charecters but lazy/tedious writing and for the 2 great books there have been 2 lame and 2 awful ones.If you want to laugh the commisar cain books are a hoot and a different perspective on the 40k universe.I keep hoping for some consistant good books from the BL but I am dissapointed 80 PERCENT OF THE TIME.BRING BACK CLASSIC BATTLETECH
Nate
To much time on my hands
-phelan65

Postby -thx10050 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:42 am

Personally, I felt both books 2 and 3 were rushed, in terms of storyline and events.
-thx10050

Postby -Thrax » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:05 am

"CLASSIC BATTLETECH"

Please. They were classic when I was 12. Take another look at those "classic" books. Few can hold a candle to Abnett's worst. And I'm not being subjective or partisan here. I was a HUGE Battletech novel fan. I've read over 20 of the novels. They were junky at the best of times. It was why I liked them. Abnett is a genre novelist, but certainly among the better ones. But Michael Stackpole? William Keith? Robert Thurston? Come on.

T.
-Thrax

Postby -phelan65 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:36 am

AHH BUT THE WONDERFULL WORLD OF CLASSIC BT THERE WAS CONTINUITY,OVERLAPPING STORIES AND SUCH,YOU SAY YOU READ 20 OR SO NOVELS I HAD 95% OF THE SERIES SO I SAW IT GROW AND DEVELOP OVER 10 YEARS AND I KEEP HOPING/TRYING WITH 40K SINCE THE FIRST INQUISITOR BOOK 12 YEARS AGO IN WHAT WAS ONE OF THE WORST SET OF BOOKS EVER PUBLISHED.STACKPOLE IS A VERY RESPECTED WRITER AND SINCE KEITH DID THE FIRST SERIES OF BT HE HOLDS A SPECIAL PLACE FOR ME.OF COURSE IT IS DIFFERENT FOR EVERYONE WHICH IS WHAT MAKES THESE BOARDS GREAT
-phelan65

Postby -Thrax » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:52 am

Your words hurt my brain. Never type in caps again. :|

T.
-Thrax

Return to Warmonger Club