Early 40k?

General club news, events, questions, introductions and suchwot.

Re: Early 40k?

Postby Flavius Infernus » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:56 pm

I think the list is fine actually. Even with the walking wraithguard, since they have the conceal & fortune. I think the way to make it work is to extend Ken's suggestions about tactics and deploy with that idea in mind.

Most SM/CSM shooty armies are going to need to castle or take a strong, clustered defensive position against your army, since you are more mobile and they need to avoid getting chewed up a piece at a time. So I agree with Ken that your ideal situation against the castle defense is to maneuver into a position where everything springs at once--wraithlords step into cover in the 25-36" range band, the falcons shoot for good firing lanes where return fire is limited, and the guard zoom up and disembark at 12" and concentrate fire on vehicles and tough/vulnerable targets. That'll overwhelm the defensive firepower, and if you do it near the end of the game then the opponent won't have enough time to grind your army down with his heavy guns or power fists (like what happened to me last night).

Eldar armies are good at gaining a temporary advantage, but have trouble holding on to it. Playing Eldar it happens to me all the time that I'm winning a game big at the end of turn 3, but lose by attrition in turn 6. But if you hold off your big push until the midgame, sometimes the opponent doesn't have a chance to recover.

In a game with a lot of dispersed objectives (like the loot mission or quarter missions) your Iyanden army has a huge advantage in both mobility and toughness--can just camp the objectives in about turn 3 and make the enemy come to you. Your army is also tough to beat in recon--four scoring units can be across the board in turn 2.

I think the army is totally workable--it just takes some retooling of the brain to get out of deathwing mode and into thinking like a panzee.
Flavius Infernus

Postby -thx10050 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:06 pm

Thanks a lot, Tom, much appreciated. :)

And I owe you 3 dollars. At the time I must admit it felt okay letting you pay for me. In retrospect, it was a pretty poor showing of sportsmanship. I'll pay for you the next time you and I both show up on a Thursday.

If something that seems unwinnable comes up like that again, I may just do as Ken suggested:

"Good game, want to play again?" :b
-thx10050

Postby -The Fabulous Orcboy » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:47 am

Tom's advice is spot-on.

With a small Eldar army like yours, you want to take advantage of your superior mobility to really fight on your own terms. That means staying out of LOS until you can deliver a decisive, overwhelming blow. "Feeding" units into the enemy meatgrinder a piece a time will accomplish very little
-The Fabulous Orcboy

Postby -thx10050 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:49 am

Well, I tried to use what you guys advised, Tom and Ken, and also what Pete told me about redeploying your army using fast mechanized units in my game against Joe yesterday. It was a good game overall. My 3 Wraithlords and 2 Falcons overran his right flank, but his left flank crushed my own right flank with a first turn assault into my walking Wraithguard squad with attached Farseer; it was an Assault squad that did it, with that extra 2D6 of movement from the Psyker vow, using the old rules I believe.

The ability to redeploy your entire army for the first 2-3 turns is very powerful, it seemed. And I discovered that Falcons are indeed difficult to bring down, though my Wave Serpents seemed to drop like flies from missiles and plasma shots; the second one was killed in Joe's 5th turn by a missile launcher. Luckily, it was an Alpha mission, so it didn't hurt too much and the Guard were no longer inside them.

I'm very tempted to drop that walking squad of Guard, but if I do, I won't have the points for 2 Falcons and I think keeping them in pairs at the least is one of the keys to their survival. The squad, with the Farseer still alive, did manage to hold up the Assault squad long enough for my Falcons and single Wave Serpent that was over there to get away though. I think they'll be more useful in mission like Loot or Take and Hold, due to their resilience with Toughness, Fearless, and Fortune. Still, with a power fist and a Crozius in their faces, I knew they couldn't last very long, even with better Toughness. I hope the Wraithguard get an extra wound in the new codex.

Anyways, just some random thoughts on the second game with the army.
-thx10050

Postby Flavius Infernus » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:01 am

Don't you need the third guard squad in order to qualify for the third wraithlord?

I agree that two falcons is exponentially better than one.

It feels to me like characters are always gonna be a problem for Iyanden armies. Unless you're willing to take Asurmen :evil then characters are always going to bog down and gradually grind away anything they can get into HtH with. Maybe some kind of inexpensive speedbump solution? Sacrificial spirit seer (they're still Independent characters, right?)?
Flavius Infernus

Postby -thx10050 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:20 am

I actually have an Asurmen model. Now where to find the points... :lol

Sorry, about the Guard squad, I meant sticking it in a Serpent and leaving the Farseer on his lonesome with Guide for a Falcon to swing by and pick up in an Escalation game.

As for the Spirit Seers, they are indeed ICs, but also have to accompany a Wraithguard squad like a Warlock. To me, that's a bit weird, especially since their ability to let other Guard squads 'see' (i.e. not be stupid on the roll of a 1) only works out to 6 inches. Not very helpful when you have 2 mobile units that may need to split off from each other.
-thx10050

Postby Masterofmelee » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:31 am

Hey Jarrett

Can we get a 4-500 spot
Masterofmelee

Postby Masterofmelee » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:30 am

im guessing not, so ill be tehre at 6:00 for Dave
Masterofmelee

Previous

Return to Warmonger Club