Trailer for Mark of Chaos

General club news, events, questions, introductions and suchwot.

Re: Trailer for Mark of Chaos

Postby savaughn » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:00 am

Actually, according to the original promos, those graphics are worse than what you get on an X-Box. I believe marketing hype! I do! I really do!
savaughn

Postby -FarseerVinnie » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:37 am

The xbox 360 won't be that impressive, it's just a good computer geared towards gaming. Now I admit that'll be pretty fast and stuff, but the PS3 and Revolution will both be better (as is indicated by their later release date).

Has anyone besides me seen the 3 hour PS3 demonstration they did at that huge gaming convention? Because it included screen shots and footage from the PS3, which were better looking than the pre-rendered stuff from any game I've seen...

Cell processors are sweeeet...

And the Revolution will be just that, a revolution in human-game interaction...
-FarseerVinnie

Postby -Thrax » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:34 am

"but the PS3 and Revolution will both be better (as is indicated by their later release date)."

If only that were true. I wish the same principle applied to the late essays my students handed in. Unfortunately, this is rarely the case.

"Has anyone besides me seen the 3 hour PS3 demonstration they did at that huge gaming convention?"

I did. I watched most of the new platform demos. One word: HYPE. All the E3 stuff is PR, plain and simple, no different in any way from political propagandeering. Advance screenshots are, 9 times out of 10, "wish-list" photos done on the equivalent of Sun UltraMegaComputrons. When the genuine playtesting begins, so do the spec compromises.

EDIT: A buddy of mine just reminded me of a PA that covered just this topic. Here it is.

T.
-Thrax

Postby -FarseerVinnie » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:56 am

I admit that "bullshot" does exist, but a lot of what we saw at the E3 demo wasn't just screen shots... Now I'm sure it won't be exactly the same, but some things about the PS3 and Revolution are very, very impressive...

The PS3's processor, specifically, has a lot of potential, if they make the software (games) multi-threaded enough to take advantage of it, not even a sun-ultraSpiffySuperDuper Computer would be fast enough to show the same performance. Multi-threading is key...

As for the Revolution, it has something we don't see very often in the gaming world: Innovation... Something new, that if properly used will kick @$$... The question is will Nintendo do a good job? And the answer is: Probably, I mean, they've been doing this for quite some time now, they're not amatures (like those fools over at Microsoft) :lol

Oh, and as for later release dates for consoles often implying improved quality, just think back to this generation... The PS2 came out before the Gamecube or the XBox, and from a hardware perspective it's inferior to both... Is it a causal relationship? No, but there's certainly a strong correlation...

Of course this is all idle speculation, but I'm blindly optimistic as always... :p
-FarseerVinnie

Postby -Papa Gino » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:50 am

Quote:
Sun UltraMegaComputrons

Note to self - find and steal a Sun UltraMegaComputron...

Seriously - alas, I won't be playing these games on the PC for a looooooooooong while. Being that my PC is a vintage 1998 or 1999 (forgot which) Dell Dimension with a few custom upgrades (new chip, RAM, etc.). Damn thing runs on a steam engine. Amazingly enough, it can still run _some_ of the really good "new" PC games - the Total War and Civ series come to mind, as well as Warcraft III.

Just not Dawn of War, or anything so insanely jacked up sys-req wise (like - most likely - Mark of Chaos).

Which means I'm stuck waiting for new consoles...and speaking of which. I don't think a few months' difference in release dates implies a radical difference in performance - design choices do (or at least used to). I might be remembering something wrong, but PS2 was fundamentally a worse (graphics-wise) design than Xbox. And GC was just...different.

Whatever. I'll have to trade in _my_ old PS2/Xbox eventually, but not because of the hype. Frankly, my PS2 is starting to fizzle on me, and some of the new releases I want to play will be made for the new machines. [Drat that Square Enix...]
-Papa Gino

Postby -Thrax » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:25 am

I don't think a few months' difference in release dates implies a radical difference in performance - design choices do (or at least used to). I might be remembering something wrong, but PS2 was fundamentally a worse (graphics-wise) design than Xbox. And GC was just...different.

I think this statement is essentially correct.

T.
-Thrax

Previous

Return to Warmonger Club