Evolution and Warhammer/40K

General club news, events, questions, introductions and suchwot.

Re: Evolution and Warhammer/40K

Postby elrodogg » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:19 pm

Quote:
baseball Gould argues that the lack of changes in the rules over the last century explains part of why baseball now works the way it does

Granted I have no real clue as to what Gould argues, but baseball has significantly changed over the last 100 years. The introduction of night games, trips to the west coast, the designated hitter, use of balls (they used to play with one or two balls all game) playoff formats (i.e. wild card) all have changed the game. More importantly trade and wavers have changed the idea of what a "team" is. That isn't even to mention that rosters have increased in size allowing for more relief pitching.

Yes, the chapter approved rules did keep 40k going alot, but it's also what feels like forever for armies to get a new ruleset. Two armies a year simply isn't enough to keep the creativity in list design going.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby -FarseerVinnie » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:21 pm

Quote:
So I guess my point is that raging against the lack of diversity in aged army rulesets is pointless, since that's always going to happen that way over time. The thing to do instead is expect and accept rule changes as the necessary infusions of new life, and maybe lobby for even more frequent rule changes.

OK, so what do we do when GW refuses to release a new Orc or Eldar codes for 6 years?
-FarseerVinnie

Postby mauleed » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:43 pm

Warmachine.

There's a company that understands that new rules are good and how to schedule and implement them. Everyone gets new rules at the same time, and only a couple of times a year.

GW's policy of doing an army at a time (and only 2 a year) is idiotic in comparison.

New GW book comes out: 10% of the hobby is excited. New warmachine book comes out 100% of the hobby is excited.
mauleed

Postby -The Fabulous Orcboy » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:45 pm

I'm with Ronen, in part.

It's been a while since I read SJG, but I vaguely remember being a bit dissatisfied with the baseball analogy he was using. It's fine in the broad picture, particularly given the way he's trying to use it, but like Ronen says, the changes in baseball over the past century have been actually quite sizable, and had a marked impact.

That said, I agree that even a year is usually enough time for gamers to work out the 'effective' army list design possibilities for a new 40K or Fantasy army. A change to the rules system, or the introduction of a new army/codex, can upset the competitive balance for a few months, but typically the 'lists' can accomodate those sorts of shifts.

Something like the Warhammer hobby would be a nice little analogical microcosm of the sorts of things SJG is talking about, methinks ;) The parallel would be particularly striking if:

(1) Most changes to the Warhammer rules were incremental.
(2) NO sweeping changes to existing codexes ever occurred (so no new codexes, only new CAs and/or updates)

Then you'd have a 'controlled' system, where changes were the result of intentional modifications, rather than inherent mutation/variation :)
-The Fabulous Orcboy

Previous

Return to Warmonger Club