Webcast, anyone?

General club news, events, questions, introductions and suchwot.

Webcast, anyone?

Postby VectorAWX3 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:26 pm

I have an odd idea... just for kicks, really.

Do you think that anyone would want to watch "Warhammer TV"? Hear me out on this...

It works like this. Two people play a game of fantasy or 40k. Using a yahoo chatroom, the events are broadcast via webcam. At the same time, a third person uses the mike to "broadcast" the play-by-play and/or commentary. It might be a fun experiment to see what happens. Everyone in the chatroom would see and hear the action, and the viewers would type in thier comments: "He should have fled!" "Chaos Khorne knights are broken." "My Tomb Kings would kill that army."

I've got the facilities (computer with broadband, camera, and mike, ready to go, a gaming table, voices in my head). It would be fun to do around noon on a weekend (say, a Sunday) so we can get the largest audience (including some late European viewers.)

Does anyone think this could be a fun idea? Or am I completely insane? (or both)

Of course, it would be pimped on various message boards to generate interest.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Re: Webcast, anyone?

Postby -FarseerVinnie » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:54 pm

hmm... I'd watch a game between two people who I either knew personally or I knew to be really good players. Like at a GT I'd only stand around and watch people I know play, or two undefeated players play, otherwise there's really no appeal to spend that much time watching a game you're not playing...
-FarseerVinnie

Postby VectorAWX3 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:04 am

I thought the same thing... but then I figured a couple of things:

First, there a bunch of people that hang out on the TWF chatroom just waiting for a conversation to begin. They would clearly tune in if, for not other reason, than the fact that they have no lives. :) (I'm on there quite a bit) :p So I know that SOMEONE would tune in. Whether they don't "switch the channel" in 5 minutes is a whole different story.

Second, it would be an interesting experiment in modern media. Anyone can have their own newspaper/editorial page/worldwide diary (weblog, anyone?). Does the same principle apply to having your own "TV station" where you can broadcast whatever you want, whenever you want? It's a bit of a different medium in that it's live, and therefore requires your target audience to go by your schedule (assuming they don't do the equivilent of TIVO'ing the whole thing).

The hook is to get captivating commentary. The same way TV does it with a play-by-play guy and a color-commentary guy. Have you ever watched a baseball game (on TV) with the sound off? Try it for 30 minutes and tell me it's not a COMPLETELY different experience.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby WickerNipple » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:11 am

Atchman has been doing a similar thing for months now, you should talk to him about how it.
WickerNipple

Postby VectorAWX3 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:13 am

Really? Cool! I will. Thanks. See, what these things REALLY need is advertising!
VectorAWX3

Postby -LcKedovan » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:05 am

You would definately need some of my Canadian Sarcasm in there... So I'll do the colour commentary while you do the play by play ;) .

-W.
-LcKedovan

Postby deFl0 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:08 am

Actually, I think it would be interesting if it was highly edited. It's no fun to see others roll dice, but seeing how people move and what killed what when could be interesting, but at that point it might be better as a flash piece.

There's just too much down time of thinking and moving and rolling dice...

Pete
deFl0

Postby -tinfoil3 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:48 am

Speaking as a distant lurker type of player, I'd love to see this. Watching highly skilled players maneuver, tactical plans unfold...
Would you be able to archive this sort of thing?
-tinfoil3

Postby -the black prince » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:31 am

yeah i'd love to see nidal get beaten!
-the black prince

Postby VectorAWX3 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:36 am

:lol Cool! Interest from all corners. Originally, I wanted to do a really cool, edited "short film/sports mockumentary" type thing. But that requires lots of editing time, and a properly working firewire connection. :p Mine never could download video quite right from my digicam, and I'm too lazy to try and figure it out... so for now that's way on hold. But this webcast seemed like a really cool alternative.
VectorAWX3

Next

Return to Warmonger Club