FANTASY TUTORIALS--ANYONE INTERESTED?

General club news, events, questions, introductions and suchwot.

FANTASY TUTORIALS--ANYONE INTERESTED?

Postby VectorAWX3 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:03 pm

So, you like the minis! You don't think orcs should carry guns! You are a deviant that wants to paint elven chicks in bikinis running around with nasty swords! Never fear, fantasy is here!

Interested in the paint-as-you-play, perhaps, but don't have a firm grasp on Warhammer Fantasy Battle Game mechanics? Post here, and I will try to set up some simple tutorial games in the next couple of weeks to demonstrate the basic rules of the game. The tutorials will be heavily instructed, and meant to teach the fundamental rules about movement, magic, characters, close combat, and shooting. As we progress, we will throw in a smattering of tactics and army-specific rules to help you better navigate the complex world of toy soldiers.

The fun starts tonight, if I get any interest!
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Re: FANTASY TUTORIALS--ANYONE INTERESTED?

Postby -rkl56119 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:42 pm

If you can post that information in text format I'd appreciate it.

Starting WHFB again and I'm working on Empire, and O&G.
-rkl56119

Postby Bauhaus » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:46 pm

Nidal, if you don't have any takers...

I wouldn't mind having a game with you where we actually discuss deployment, movement, flanking, tactics, magic/dispel, etc.

My hope would be that I could learn a little more about playing against horde armies, terrain, deployment etc.
Blood for the Blood God!
Bauhaus

Postby VectorAWX3 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:51 pm

rkl.. do you come to the club to play? Or are you a "boardmonger"? :)

The stuff I'll be doing is just basic rules... things right out of the rulebook. That's the best text reference there is. I'll just be showing "tabletop" examples of: when you can and cannot march, due to proximity of enemy troops; which troops much march to shoot, which troops can move and shoot, and which troops can march and shoot; when you can and cannot use your general's leadership; how to determine how many magic and dispel dice you generate. The idea is that when you see something on the tabletop, you'll hopefully remember it easier than if you read it on the book. Other than that, it's all in the book.

Dave, as far as tactics are concerned, you already have n excellent grasp! Just look at how well you did in Baltimore. Losing to Warmongers doesn't mean you're not a really good player. ;) But if you want to discuss tactics, I'll be glad to do so during any game. I usually save tactical tips for after a game, but will be glad to point out tips throughout the game, if you want.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby Amazonwarlord » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:53 pm

I'm interested in a tutorial
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby VectorAWX3 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:56 pm

Alright! We'll put you against Dave and I'll throw out all kinds of deployment/movement/magic/shooting tips during the game. (assuming we have no takers for the basic-level tutorial)
VectorAWX3

Postby deFl0 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:11 pm

I'm in... Teach me:o

Pete
deFl0

Postby VectorAWX3 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:14 pm

Pete... this week? Next week?
VectorAWX3

Postby Bauhaus » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:17 pm

I guess I would call the course Advanced Tactics 501. Subjects would be match-ups, terrain, flanking, control, etc. I might start with going through terrain placement, deployment and the first couple of turns a couple of times...

We could use any armies we have.

For instance, I usually set-up in a battle line with my fast cav performing the duty of skirmishers, the heavy cav and infantry maintaining the line, while my BT and Chariots try to flank. It works well against most armies but against a true horde army with both flanks covered, I've been thinking of other strategies - denied flank, break-throughs etc.

Also, in one of my games that I lost at Baltimore, against Dwarfs, what I should have done is just left his army in the corner and killed his slayers that he had placed "outside". I would have won with table quarters and a few points of slayers. I probably wouldn't have lost much at all - hey, if he's gonna play a Mountain, it doesn't mean I have to attack it - right?

Additionally, against magic armies, I have a whole additional set of problems.

Stuff like that - things that will help me (or whomever) beat some of the better players out there and improve play at the GTs.

I am learning a lot of course - all the Warmongers are getting better because of the group play. One day though, we could take all the awards at a GT.
Blood for the Blood God!
Bauhaus

Postby VectorAWX3 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:27 pm

Quote:
One day though, we could take all the awards at a GT.
Don't we already do that? :lol
VectorAWX3

Next

Return to Warmonger Club