New Star Wars Miniature Set...anyone want to start?

General club news, events, questions, introductions and suchwot.

New Star Wars Miniature Set...anyone want to start?

Postby KevinC » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:12 am

Hey guys,

The latest Star Wars miniature set has just been released. Lots of cool miniatures and characters from all 6 films including characters from various books/comics, etc.

Check them out here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=swminis/article/setlistuniversegallery

Is anyone interested in playing? I have a bunch of miniatures from previous sets and it is a fun game.

It would be cool if a bunch of us could start playing at the club regularly. I know Danny was talking to Matt about possibly running some tournaments with prize support from Wizards of the Coast. It would be cool if a bunch of us could start playing at the club regularly, generate some interest, etc.

Any interest please post here.

Kevin out
Common Goblins iz da best!!

Check out my Gobbos at:http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=28856

'I am the son of Aenarion, and where my blade falls, death follows.'
- Malekith, Prince of Nagarythe
KevinC

Re: New Star Wars Miniature Set...anyone want to start?

Postby -onimusha » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:24 am

My girlfriend actually got me the giant Revenge of the Sith box set which comes with a really nice thick wooden folding play map.

If people started playing seriously, I'd be willing to bring it in and leave it there as long as people were nice to it...
-onimusha

Postby KevinC » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:06 am

Also, on the maps all the squares are 1" by 1". When Alex and I played a few times, we simply used standard 3-D terrain and measured movement in inches rather than using maps. So you can play it either way.

Kevin out

Check out my Gobbos at:http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=28856

KevinC

Postby -Lynxswift » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:30 am

I'd be interested in playing. I'm new to the game though and have only collected the Rebel Storm set.

I've got a decent sized Imperial collection with a starter set Vader, Mara Jade, General Veers, Probe Droid and some various Stormtroopers. I also got a Jabba the Hutt and a good number of Fringe figures.

That Universe expansion looks awesome. Of course all I really want are an AT-ST so I can have a decent Hoth Assault force :evil . Also Grand Admiral Thrawn from the novels is cool :) .

If you guys are really going to have open gaming on Saturdays, then that would be the best time for me to drop in and play. Keep me up to date when you all are setting up games :p .
-Lynxswift

Postby KevinC » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:44 am

Hey Lynxswift,

I'm hoping to generate more interest in the game with the Warmonger club. Roughly 2 or 3 of us play on occasion currently, though it would be great to get enough people to play some tournaments.

I just bought a bunch of the new Universe Huge set, lots of very cool stuff in there, I particularly like all the monsters such as the Rancor and the three arena beasts from Episode II.

Kevin out

KevinC

Postby -Lynxswift » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:30 am

Any chance some of you guys will be there on Saturday? I'm planning to be there this Sat. around 1PM bringing my SW minis. I'll probably also bring a 40k army just in case no one shows.

(Ohhh and a big thanks to the Club President and Matt for helping me out today at the CS and letting me join the club :p .)

-Armand
-Lynxswift

Postby -Lynxswift » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:56 am

Ok, no responses, and I just found out this weekend is Labor Day Weekend. So, I won't be able to make it this Saturday :( . I'll be in NJ.

On an interesting note, I just found a copy of the old out of print Star Wars Miniature Battle rulebook and the companion book with vehicle rules. These are by West End Games. I think the new minis would work great with these rules too. You can even create-a-character/squad, and use any toys/models that are appropriately scaled. I've seen this game run at some conventions recreating large battles like Endor. Would be interesting to run. But, it would probably take me a few months to digest the rules, since it's not on my priority list of gaming. At least I don't have to worry about having the minis painted thanks to WOTC :) .

I'll bring them in to show the next time I can come down there. Which is probably Saturday Sept. 10th.
-Lynxswift

Postby -Lynxswift » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:44 am

This should probably start to be moved to the Other Games forum. Anyways....

Official AT-AT "mini" being released by WOTC in November :D .

www.icv2.com/articles/home/7454.html

They also mention a non-randomized AT-ST set coming out early 2006 with an Attack on Endor battlemat.
-Lynxswift

Postby KevinC » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:24 pm

Hey Armand,

Hopefully we'll be able to hook up and play some games of Stars Wars soon. I'm trying to get others interested and so perhaps we should run a booster tournament (i.e. players buy a booster of Huge and a ROTS booster, etc) or something.

I remember those West End games books your taking about. I use to play the old Star Wars Roleplaying game by West End and the book(s) you're talking about were like quarterly supplements for miniature battles. Is there cool stuff to convert into the new miniature game?

I perfer playing larger games - 200 points is a nice point level IMO, but also I would like to try even larger games of perhaps 500 or 600 points. If the game starts to break at that size, we can simply create our own rules to make it work (i.e. more activations per turn, etc).

Also, although I don't mind playing with the maps, I've played a bunch of games with 3D terrian and moving the miniatures in inches (i.e. instead of moving 6 squares, move 6 inches).

And, yeah, the AT-AT is neat!

Kevin ou

KevinC

Return to Warmonger Club