Feb 27/28, 1850 40k, 2 day, GT, at Showcase

General club news, events, questions, introductions and suchwot.

Feb 27/28, 1850 40k, 2 day, GT, at Showcase

Postby mikeatshowcase » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:59 pm

Open for Reservations!

The Saint Valentines Day Massacre, a two day Independent 40k Grand Tournament held in the new Gaming Bunker at the Granite Run Mall in Media PA.

Hosted by Mike Clark of Showcase Comics, and the NE BigGunZ gaming club.

Location: Inside the Granite Run Mall, 1067 W. Baltimore Pike, Media PA. 19063. The tournament is held in a separate area from the Showcase Comics store. Media PA. is in the western Philadelphia suburbs, about 2 hours from NYC, and 1.5 hours from Baltimore. The Mall is about 20 minutes off of 1-95 and the Philadelphia Airport.

Date: Saturday Feb. 27th, and Sunday Feb 28th. Three Games on Saturday, Two Games on Sunday.

Players: 80 spots available for the main event.

Army Size: 1850 points. All current 40k Codices, and the Blood Angels list from White Dwarf.

Cost: 60.00 pre-paid by Feb. 21st, 70.00 if paid after Feb. 21st. Your spot in the tournament is reserved only after you have pre-paid.
Payment can be made by Paypal to ShowcaseComicsandGames@Gmail.com. If you don't have paypal but can pay by credit card, please send an
e-mail to ShowcasePA@aol.com, and request an electronic invoice.

Hotels: Quality Inn (610) 565-5800, right across the street from the Mall, newly renovated. Ask for the Granite Run Mall rate of 75.00
Media Inn (610-566-6500), two miles away, cheaper, and not nearly as nice.

Updated Hotel Information: Just talked to the Quality Inn, across the street from us. They have a shuttle to the Philadelphia airport, for those flying in, and there is a lower room rate for that has been negotiated by the Mall. Ask for the Specail Room rate for Granite Run Mall. Should be 75.00 a night.

National Tournament Invitations:
In addion to our other prizes, the top two overall players will receive invites from Games Workshop for the Nationals in 2011. If one of those players cannot attend, the player with the next highest overall score will receive the invite. If a player has already received an invite from another event, then his invitation will be passed on to the next person as well. The National tournament will be held in Las Vegas in 2011, at the end of the first Indy GT season. The only way to attend this tournament is two earn an invitation by taking one of the top two spots at one of the independently run tournaments.

Scoring: Battle Points worth 110, Painting/Appearance worth 20, and Army Compostion worth 20, for a total of 150 possible points.
Battles: Five games worth 22 points each. All games will use scenarios with several objectives. Kill points will not be used. Scenarios will be posted
after the deadline for army list submission.
Painting: Painting/Appearance is worth 20 pointsPainting will be by a checklist, with a team of judges scoring each army. This checklist will be
posted along with the rules packet.
Composition: Army composition is worth 20 points. This will be decided by a group of judges prior to the tournament. All players must submit an army list by Feb. 21st. If we recieve an army list past the deadline, the player will recieve a -10 point modifier to his overall score in the tournament. Please don't be late with army lists.

Prizes: Overall 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Painting 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Best General 1st 2nd, 3rd, and Players Choice. We have over 2000.00 in prizes for this event, most of which will be ForgeWorld model kits. (And spiffy trophies!)

Questions? Contact Mike Clark at MikenJudyC@aol.com or ShowcasePA@aol.com, or call Showcase Comics at 610-891-9229.

Complete rules packet will be going up later this week on the forums at ShowcaseComicsandGames.com, in the 'Welcome' and 'Events' sections. You do not need to be logged in to veiw the rules in the 'Welcome' section. Some basics below:

- All models in your army must be painted and have finished bases. Models that do not make the minimum standards may not be used. Bringing an unpainted army doesn't just mean a zero in painting. It also means you don't play.

-All models must be WYSIWYG, or pretty darn close to it. A clever conversion that skirts the line, but draws applause from your opponent is cool. "My red bolt pistol is a plasma pistol" is not.

-Part of WYSIWYG is using the correct models: "I'm using Bloodletters on big rocks for my Bloodcrushers because I don't want to shell out the cash." isn't acceptable. " I hand sculpted all my models" is probably is fine, assuming some minimum sculpting skill and they look like what they should represent. If you have a question, call, or email with pictures.

-It's a GW sponsored tournament. A preponderance of your army should be GW models, or converted using GW bitz.

-Base size: Models should be on the proper size base, compared to newer models of the same type. All terminators should be on 40mm, all bloodcurshers should be on 60mm round, etc. If you are totally against rebasing your army, bring some blue tack and stick them on the correct size base for this tournament.

Full rules, or changes to these, are in the Welcome section at the forums at ShowcaseComicsandGames.com

The Basics:

-2 Days, with 3 games on Saturday and 2 games on Sunday

-1850 pts Warhammer 40k, standard rules, no Apoc.

-Prizes for Overall 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Appearance 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Best General 1st 2nd, 3rd, and Players Choice.

-Their will be a comp score, and we will require lists be turned in ahead of time. Comp will be part of the overall score, and will determine bracketing for the first 2 rounds. Comp will be judged by a team of judges. (There will not be a checklist posted for comp. We'll post more details later, but the basic is: The harder your army is, the lower the comp score.)

-Painting and Appearance will be a significant part of the overall score. (Battle points are still the majority.) Points are given for Painting, Basing, Conversions, Display board, and Theme.

- All models in your army must be painted and based (sand, flock, etc finishing off the models base) to attend the tournament. Models that do not make the minimum standards may not be used. Bringing an unpainted army doesn't just mean a 0 in painting, it also means you don't play.

-All models must be WYSIWYG, or pretty darn close to it. A clever conversion that skirts the line, but draws applause from your opponent is cool. "My red bolt pistol is a plasma pistol" is not.

-Part of WYSIWYG is using the correct models: "I'm using Bloodletters on big rocks for my Bloodcrushers because I don't want to shell out the cash." isn't acceptable. " I hand sculpted all my models" probably is fine, assuming some minimum sculpting skill and they look like what they should represent. If you have a question, call, or email with pictures even.

-It's a GW sponsored tournament. The preponderance of your army should be GW models, or converted with GW bitz.

-Base size: Models should be on the proper size base, compared to newer models of the same type. All terminators should be on 40mm, all bloodcurshers should be on 60mm round, etc. If you are totally against rebasing your army, bring some blue tac and stick them on the correct size base for this tournament. Some players keep their demons on square bases for fantasy. I haven't seen an advantage to this yet in 40k, so it is allowable. (If someone sees something I don't, email me about it.)

-There will be scenarios, and the scenarios will be posted online before the tournament. They may, (or they may not), be posted before the deadline for turning in your list.

-Two top players will recieve invites from GW for the Nationals in 2011 If one of those players cannot attend, the next player on the list will get the invite. If a player has already recieved an invite from another event, then his invitation passes on to the next person as well.

(More later as we get the details ironed out and the budget done.)

-
Last edited by mikeatshowcase on Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeatshowcase

Re: Feb 27/28, 1850 40k, 2 day, GT, at Showcase

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:04 pm

Good post, Mike. Thank you. Good luck with the challenges Real Life (tm) is throwing you, and I'm gald that your girl is fine.
Emperors Reckoning

Postby mikeatshowcase » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:43 am

Thanks, was one of those "scary parenting moments".

Was on the phone with my wife, I hear 'thunk', one of the twins cries, and my wife says got to go! This is normal at my house with 3 1/2 year old twin girls. Two minutes later, wife is on the phone yelling "I called an ambulance, she is shaking and her eyes are rolled back". I head home, just a 5 minute drive I make in about 2minutes. Everything pretty calm, paramedics not worried. Whatever it was, she snapped out too quick to be a real seizure, and catscans at the hospital showed nothing. She came home with a new bear, and stores about 'riding in the ambulance'.

I had that post half done, finished when I got back to work, half coherent.)
mikeatshowcase

Postby VectorAWX3 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:00 am

Ouch! Glad she's fine.

I stickied the post for you, so feel free to edit the original post when you get more info. I'll also be emailing you about the 2999 tourney. That was lots of fun this last time!
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby Leenus » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:18 pm

I think the Nid codex comes out the first week in February (It may be January, but if it is, nevermind)... Will it be allowed, because I really would like to be able to use the new book?

I think you should definitely allow it, because it will draw more people (me definitely)!!!

Thanks
Leenus

Postby The Gunslinger » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:01 pm

Glad your daughter is ok Mike. Looking forward to the GT.
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Postby mikeatshowcase » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:36 am

No problem at all using the Nid codex. Even if it was coming out in February, I'd allow it. Never did totally understand the "wait 30 days to play with the new toys". Hell, I've only got a 3 day waiting period on a gun!

I think it's actually scheduled for the first part of January. I may even have an advance copy in December.
mikeatshowcase

Postby Anger Worm » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:30 pm

Hell, I've only got a 3 day waiting period on a gun!

Now is that really more of a problem with the army book grace period or the gun laws?
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby mikeatshowcase » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:37 pm

Updated the info, taking reservations.
mikeatshowcase

Return to Warmonger Club