Templecon Rides/Rooms?

General club news, events, questions, introductions and suchwot.

Templecon Rides/Rooms?

Postby zee » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:51 am

Hi all, I've just decided to commit to going to Templecon. Are any peeps interested in splitting a ride/room? I currently have provisions for neither, but am working on getting drivers interested in going.

It's a gaming convention focusing on miniatures, with tournaments for Warmachine/hordes and warhammer/40k. In addition, there are board games, lans, and concerts. It's over in Rhode Island, on the Weekend of 2/5/2010.
www.templecon.com
Last edited by zee on Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
dave lee
zee

Re: Templecon Rides/Rooms?

Postby WickerNipple » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:20 pm

Might be worth mentioning when/where/what it is. Never heard of it.
WickerNipple

Postby OtherGary » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:50 am

Templecon is a fairly large sci-fi con held in Providence, RI. The GW gaming circle is not that big, about Rogue Trader tourney-sized and definitely more friendly gaming centered than tournament oriented, at least during the last two Templecons that I've been to. It is also strictly 40K, no Fantasy unless you want to do pickups or Warmachine and is very big into games demoing of systems other than GW, and is dry. But overall, all of the tabletop stuff is decidely dwarfed by all the other stuff Zee mentions.

Travel-wise, there's always Greyhound that drops you off in downtown Providence, a few blocks from the convention center. Otherwise it's a good 4-5 hour drive one-way(DO NOT SPEED or else you WILL get that $200+ ticket [like I have], those CT speed traps are no joke).

Lodgings-wise, the convention center is literally surrounded on all sides by hotels, the Westin being connected to the con by a large walkway over the highway that bisects Providence. I've only stayed overnight at the con once and then only stayed at the Hotel Biltmore across the street, I scored a 3 room suite to share with friends for the same price as a regular room at the Hilton, but everything is super-pricey in that area.

Nightlife-wise, there's nothing to do in downtown Providence after 8pm. Everything literally shuts down with the exception of a large multi-music genre/multi-floor dance club, an outdoor late night eatery run out of the back of a semi-trailer, and the few men's clubs in the downtown area that only feature fully clothed dancers.

Templecon is a great con to go to, but only if you plan on doing other things at the con in addition to tabletop gaming.
OtherGary

Postby WickerNipple » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:14 pm

Fung Wah Bus now goes to Providence from Chinatown for $30. Drops you off across the park from the Greyhound area.
WickerNipple

Postby elrodogg » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:23 pm

FYI - The only way from downtown Providence Greyhound bus terminal to Warwick where the event is held is cab, likely to be $20+ (unless someone is picking you up).
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby VectorAWX3 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:46 pm

and the few men's clubs in the downtown area that only feature fully clothed dancers
WTF?!?!?!?! What kind of Puritan bullshit is THAT?!?!?! Send those fuckers back to England!
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby xionicist » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:23 am

TempleCon actually has 250+ events, 190+ of which are table-top gaming events, including a Warhammer Fantasy tournament. ;) It is still a gaming convention, first and foremost, though it has expanded its non-gaming event schedule and has a retro-futurist science fiction theme.

TempleCon is held at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Warwick, which has free parking, and also has shuttle service from the nearby TF Green Airport. If you're coming into Providence by bus or train, catch a RIPTA #20 outbound bus from Kennedy Plaza to TF Green Airport and then take the shuttle service to the Crowne Plaza from there. Here is a link to the RIPTA bus schedule finder: http://www.ripta.com/schedules/view.php Look for the #20 outbound bus - it travels to TF Green regularly even on the weekends. :)
xionicist

Postby Evewalker » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:58 am

OtherGary wrote: ...and is dry.

:shock:

Whoa.. where did you get that impression? :D From my experience TempleCon is probably the most wet gaming convention possible without becoming a brewers festival. Looking at the schedule, it has a number of 21+ tournaments specifically for some top shelf stuff as prizes, an entire multi-day scotch tasting panel, accessible mini bars in at least one of the ballrooms during major events (in 2009 and 2010) and a pair of lounges. The event is actually oriented towards an adult crowd because of this, forgoing kids event tracks and whatnot. Hell, anyone who has experienced it knows that Midnight Madness for Warmachine in 2009 was effectively a drinking game that happened to involve dice and miniatures. :D

As for your observations on Providence, speaking as someone who has had a hand in promoting club shows in the greater Providence area, I need to disagree with you there. After that review of the city, I have to wonder if Buddy Cianci ran over your dog or something. ;)

Providence certainly doesn't close down at 8:00, has a thriving food and nightlife scene in just about any part of the downtown area and the college hill area of the East Side, and if you are looking for dancers and are finding ones fully clothed, you are either getting ripped off (The Foxy), or happened to walk in during amateur night (Cheaters). Although, if that is your thing, I suppose I could agree with your suggestion of not leaving the hotel, since there are multiple burlesque performances at the convention.

Anyway, if you have been to Providence, left a bar, and haven't stopped in for a "Fidel" at Cuban Revolution at 1:00 in the morning, you have not yet lived. I'm pretty damn sure it wasn't 8:00 last time I did that, but I was out drinking and looking at naked women all night, so who knows.
Evewalker

Postby siridar » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:24 pm

This will be my third year going to Templecon. It's an ever expanding con that is fun to go to. There's a laid back atmosphere there, which mis one of the reasons why I enjoy it so much. I also don't need to get on a plane to go either. =)

I may be a bit biased as my crack-habit is Warmachine, and there are round-the-clock warmachine/hordes games going on, but there should be enough other stuff to keep people occupied as well. Definitely worth going to at least once. It's one event that I plan for every year.
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
siridar

Return to Warmonger Club