Postby mattbird » Mon May 11, 2009 11:57 am

Please post all comments here
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Re: Daemonsmith character and item comments here

Postby big al » Tue May 12, 2009 12:17 am

Here's what I see is wrong:
Demonsmiths should be 0-1
Demonsmiths shouldn't be allowed to get mounts but should be allowed to be the BSB is desired
Demonsmiths need to lose their armor and only have a 5+ ward
A demonsmith lord would be a cool option
big al

Postby method » Tue May 12, 2009 12:31 am

due to the fact that they are the ONLY dwarf heroes with tough 4. only a ward save, would spell trouble for them IMO
method

Postby MantisZero » Tue May 12, 2009 12:56 am

I think they should be 0-1 aswell... just make them T5 then if its really a problem, or keep it T4 as a downside.
MantisZero

Postby big al » Tue May 12, 2009 1:05 am

Matt, that's the point. Make them scared little bitches. Give them something to fight for, but give them something to lose. I think there should be a sword with a bound to make a unit get ASF.
big al

Postby allanmcnab » Tue May 12, 2009 9:54 am

If you make them O-1 then the cd's have no chance at any magic phase
"I like Weakland because he cries when I fuck him" Pete, at the conflict.
allanmcnab

Postby elrodogg » Tue May 12, 2009 10:03 am

This guy is intricately tied to the high priest, so i'll post a joint commentary here. I don't think these guys work. They lack the h2h capacity and armor to be scary fighters with their demon weapons, particularly on m3 troops. If you go for the magic oriented route, then you're basically forced into taking 2 of these guys. My suggestion, is to just move them into the fluff and get rid of them from the list. Change the rules for the high priest, so that if he is taken, then he breaks out the magic demon weapon arsenal and any chaos dwarf or bull centaur hero can take a demonweapon in addition to their regular magic item slots.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby mattbird » Tue May 12, 2009 10:27 am

I think it's clear that the 2 new character types need play testing. Anything else is just conjecture. Half of the people think they are way too good, the other half way too poor....
mattbird

Postby Charlie » Tue May 12, 2009 10:44 am

Just need a clarification before I make any major comments on these guys:

1)Are they intended to be able to take Arcane items? (I don't think they are since they can only take Daemonweapons)

2)Are they intended to generate a dispel dice, like a war priest or runesmith? I don't think they are, but I might have missed it in a quick overview.

As Matt said, probably a key unit to do a lot of playtesting around. I would submit it would be a good idea to test them with and without the ability to generate a dispel die or take normal/arcane items instead of Daemonweapons (i.e. a Daemonweapon of any point cost or up to 50 pts in other items, including arcane)

Also, probably a good idea to test them with the ability to cast lore of Hashut as well. Probably 1 spell/phase at power level 5 would be my first impression. At Initiative 2, there's a significant risk of offing your own hero this way with a few bad rolls. My impression is that with the ability to throw 1 prayer per turn and generate a dispel die, plus the option of Daemonweapons or other magic items(i.e. dispel scrolls), you'll have a much more rounded character that will let you have offensive and defensive magic options without taking the High Priest.

Personnally, since this army book is being geared towards use at big tourneys, I think it's important to be able to let players who have never read the list easily grasp how different units work. Along that line, it's probably better to set up a Daemonsmith to be able to say, "It's just like an Empire Warpriest, but with different bound spells."

Charlie
Charlie

Postby mattbird » Tue May 12, 2009 10:47 am

1) no

2) no

Don't forget that the list starts with base 4 DD, so you are already getting a really good bump.

I agree with your sentiment about ease of understanding ;)
mattbird

Next

Return to Characters