Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

Re: V3 High Priest and Magic comments here

Postby Guy In Suit » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:14 am

Well against all those lists, you take the puppet and own them. :lol:
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby elrodogg » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:11 pm

It all depends on the matchup really. The only problem I foresee with CD magic phase now isn't the power level or number of spells, but rather it's that all the wizards know all the spells. So when you're up against a 4+ bound magic phase, they are guaranteed to get a movement spell off.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby Larro » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:15 pm

What's the big deal with a movement spell in a M3 army? Dwarfs get the anvil and no one bitches. Limit it to the infantry if you want or something. You're already decreasing the range to 12", let's not get crazy, because sooner or later it reaches the point where no one even WANTS this stupid Lore compared to Death and Metal and it's forced upon us. Death and Metal have pretty potent spells that are in most cases already better than what is available in the Hashut Lore, and reducing the effectiveness of movement even further will only make this more pronounced. Give me 10-12 dice of Metal or Death and watch the damage that can be done.

- Larry
"Just being born means you've lost to Larro. Or haven't you gotten the memo yet?" - Nidal

"Larry was right. I know he never gets tired of hearing that." - Canterman
Larro

Postby Border Count » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:12 pm

My concern against Tomb Kings is minimzed since the army is fairly sub-par, and the troops have a hard time taking advantage of the army's magical boosts.

Against the other armies, there's always a significant chance of failure, and as mentioned, the Infernal Puppet goes a long way.

What you've got here in this current list is a group of casters with lots of options and no risk of failure, and a caster whose risk of failure is negligible. Even the Anvil of Doom has a chance of blowing up when it (rarely) fails.

While I commend you for coming up with a system that seems characterful, soemtimes that needs to take a back seat to balance.

Now, there are certainly other things that can be done than a total rewrite. Perhaps not allowing Daemonsmiths to cast Hail Hashut or Magma Tide (the only other army that can spam movement spells is TK), or maybe just limiting them to one or two spells (like Lava Storm). Maybe changing Hail Hashut such that it doesn't work on bound spells from magic items?
Border Count

Postby Alric » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:42 pm

Looking at all the commnets as well as some play testing I think it would be better to develop the rest of the army more first , to have a good idea of what kind of magic this chaos dwarf army should have.
Alric

Postby mattbird » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:04 pm

The rest of the list is relatively set at this point, apart from some minor tweaking of points and abilities. The 2 main things that have yet to be really sorted out are the magic system and blunderbuss rules.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby Border Reiver » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:24 am

The magic phase isn't a problem - it is very much akin to having Empire with no options but Warrior Priests and Arch Lectors for options. It is not unbalanced, it is different, and although it is more reliable to cast, it is of a fixed power level and it is impossible to get irresitable force.

The only present quibble I have the magic phase is the Doomroar Spell. The change to V3 removed the panic test component of the spell, rendering it less useful. I would like to see the panic test restored.
Border Reiver

Postby Hashuts Scion » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:13 pm

A point of clarification please:

In v.2, the daemonsmith's bound spell could fail on a 1. In v.3, I do not find that rule. So, is the DS spell an auto at power level 5? or do we still need to roll to see if a 1 comes up.
Hashuts Scion

Postby KevinC » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:57 pm

In v.2, the daemonsmith's bound spell could fail on a 1. In v.3, I do not find that rule. So, is the DS spell an auto at power level 5? or do we still need to roll to see if a 1 comes up.

-----------The fail on a 1 for Daemonsmiths was removed in V3.

Kevin out
Common Goblins iz da best!!

Check out my Gobbos at:http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=28856

'I am the son of Aenarion, and where my blade falls, death follows.'
- Malekith, Prince of Nagarythe
KevinC

Postby Larro » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:01 pm

And as a result, makes the Magic phase actually something worth considering, as opposed to complete rubbish like it was prior to V3.

- Larry
"Just being born means you've lost to Larro. Or haven't you gotten the memo yet?" - Nidal

"Larry was right. I know he never gets tired of hearing that." - Canterman
Larro

PreviousNext

Return to Characters