V3 Daemonsmith comments here!

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

Re: V3 Daemonsmith comments here!

Postby elrodogg » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:26 am

I was just looking at them for the same reason. My read of v3 is that demonsmiths counted as casters (they cast a spell afterall), hence could access arcane items.

Dropping the 4 dice to 2 and allowing demonsmiths to generate a dispel dice with arcane item access is the move on these guys I think.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby Dedwrekka » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:45 am

My idea for if you wanted to move the list to a more standard magic list but also want to keep the Demonsmiths, is to borrow the Warplock Engineer rules from the skaven. The Demonic Weapon covers their casting abilities, but just give them the explanation that they count as level 1 wizards, but know no spells. The Demonic Weapon gives them the ability to cast, they get access to Arcane items like Dispell Scrolls, they generate dispel dice, and there's no need to remove the Demonsmiths from the list enitrely. The power dice created is useless for them, as the demonsmith casts his spells as bound spells.

This is also similar to a better Warrior Priest, generating dispel dice for the army and casting spells as a bound spell. In the end it's something that's already in there, but also works largely as a successful melding between both ideas. It's the Warplock Warrior Priest, which fits the idea of the Deamonsmith quite well.

Essentially take the Demonsmith entry and just add one sentence: "A Demonsmith is a level 1 wizard, but knows no spells."
you're giving them a magic defense in both dispel dice and dispel scrolls, without tuning them up to ridiculous proportions.
Dedwrekka

Postby mattbird » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:50 am

yah, this makes sense.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby Larro » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:06 pm

Agreed. Demonsmith's are very cool at the moment as-is with their reformed Bound Spell, and I think having them act as Level 1s thus allowing Arcane Items and +1 Dispel works just fine. Even without a HP these guys aren't dead weight at all, being Fear-causers and S5 Warrior Priest-types, so this way they give you defense, a dispel scroll and possibly a weapon or other item if you decided to forgo the HP entirely.

- Larry
"Just being born means you've lost to Larro. Or haven't you gotten the memo yet?" - Nidal

"Larry was right. I know he never gets tired of hearing that." - Canterman
Larro

Postby Dedwrekka » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:56 pm

Question on their Weapons. They come with a Hand Weapon and a Daemon Weapon. If they Daemon Weapon is a Magic Weapon, why have the hand weapon?
Also, is the Demon Weapon a magic handweapon or a two handed weapon?
Dedwrekka

Postby mattbird » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:02 pm

the daemon weapon is just a magic hand weapon, not great weapon.

as to the mundane hand weapon, err.... idunno. don't all models come with hand weapons?
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby OtherGary » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:16 pm

Nope, silly Wood Elves just come with Longbow and then sissy-slap you when you get right up in their face.
OtherGary

Postby KevinC » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:51 pm

Question on their Weapons. They come with a Hand Weapon and a Daemon Weapon. If they Daemon Weapon is a Magic Weapon, why have the hand weapon?

------------Well, the rulebook states all models have a hand weapon, I guess it is not needed to state it, especially if it causes confusion.

As the Daemonsmiths being magic users, I'd prefer to stay away from that, for one it does not go with the fluff and I want their power to come from the weapon itself - they are not wizards. Chaos Dwarfs are another type of Dwarf army and I like giving them 4 dispel dice. Further more it also correlates well when doing a Hobgoblin army, since you can't get any wizards in that army it gives them a decent magic defense. Further more the Arcana items for Chaos Dwarfs are really good, this is intentional because you can only pick one, at most, in a 2,000 point game.

Don't worry about the dispel dice.

Kevin out
Common Goblins iz da best!!

Check out my Gobbos at:http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=28856

'I am the son of Aenarion, and where my blade falls, death follows.'
- Malekith, Prince of Nagarythe
KevinC

Postby Dedwrekka » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:30 pm

Just needed a clarification on the weapon is all.

I'm also not so much worried about dispel dice as I am about dispel scrolls at lower points, or at higher points if you don't plan on taking a High Priest. I'd really hate to be forced to take a Priest as a Lord choice to not get entirely destroyed in a magic phase.

Dwarfs have Runesmiths to give an extra dispel dice at hero level, even with the extra two dice.
Skaven Warplock Engineers also don't cast spells thenselves, but get it from their weapons (that they purchase).
Dedwrekka

Postby Hashuts Scion » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:47 pm

KevinC wrote:
Chaos Dwarfs are another type of Dwarf army and I like giving them 4 dispel dice. Further more it also correlates well when doing a Hobgoblin army, since you can't get any wizards in that army it gives them a decent magic defense.

Don't worry about the dispel dice.

Kevin out

Kevin,

Just so I am completely sure. If I take an all hobgoblin army (except for maybe 1 CD unit as rare), I still get 4 DD? I'm hoping to playtest a battle of hobs only this Saturday and I want to be sure.
Hashuts Scion

PreviousNext

Return to Characters