Chaos Dwarf Warrior comments here

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

Re: Chaos Dwarf Warrior comments here

Postby Charlie » Tue May 12, 2009 6:09 pm

In a perfect world you could totally revamp what a Chaos Dwarf is and make it completely unlike a normal dwarf, but if you do this, and then introduce it as the ONE allowable unofficial army list in a GT setting, you are courting disaster, and a shit ton of pissed off players, especially if the Chaos Dwarf players (maybe more than 2 with a new list out) perform well.

You will get tons of discussions that start with, "Oh, so they're like Dwarfs, only totally different and better in every way? Yay, that's a greaaaat addition to the GT scene."

I would love to see the core units revamped, and add in something like 'slaver' upgrades that reduce enemy flee movement so you can actually catch them, like the Slaanesh ability that makes you roll 3 dice and take the two lowest, or just forces enemy to flee d3 less inches or something. then you can add in swivel guns, bazookas, and all sorts of tweaks to point cost for warriors and blunderbuss units to make them more efficient. These would all be great tweaks and awesome flavor, but the reality is that introducing "Uber Dwarves" as a semi-official tournament list is not gonna fly well. So, maybe the Chaos Dwarfs have to be like normal Dwarfs to preserve the appearance of balance in the list, as well as simplicity. Hell, given the rest of the stuff in the list, pointing them like a normal dwarf is probably a bargain, and they should actually be more expensive. At the end of the day it's much easier to tell your opponent that, "Chaos Dwarf warriors are like normal dwarf warriors," than it is to say, "Chaos Dwarf warriors are like normal dwarf warriors, except for the following list of A - F special abilities."

Charlie
Charlie

Postby method » Tue May 12, 2009 6:25 pm

i agree w/ charlie 100%
method

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Wed May 13, 2009 7:31 am

I think that the stand and shoot rule for the blunderbusses needs to be clarified. Since it is an area of affect, and especially given the adds for ranks. Perhaps it should take effect at half of the charge distance of the attacker? This reduce the impact of the blunderbusses on faster units, but it leaves an issue in regards flying charges.
Emperors Reckoning

Postby ZiggyQubert » Wed May 13, 2009 10:57 am

indeed there should be some clairifacion on stand & shoot with blunderbusses

the main boook states - you shoot as soon as the unit is within range, dose this mean that the BB will only hit one model if the charging unit is coming in at an anger (i.e. the moment a model from the unit is within range) or the front rank if charging straight in?
:spacesharks: :Hamelin: :Lilith: Brookie
ZiggyQubert
Site Admin

Postby mattbird » Wed May 13, 2009 2:57 pm

I think for simplicities sake, blunderbusses should work exactly as they do now. People know what they do, and how they work. They are solid. We should clarify any issues with firing them, then move on.

I would be open to adding some kind of SIMPLE racial bonus rule to chaos dwarfs in general. Perhaps all close combat attacks count as magical? Maybe axes have armor piercing? Maybe all attacks are flaming? whatever it is, I think it should be a common core rulebook ability.

I am really against changing the basic cost or stats of a chaos dwarf. We are not looking to make this a better list than it inherently is. Just updated and more interesting. :D
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby Voyager_3 » Wed May 13, 2009 5:31 pm

I think there should be one change to the blundersbusses: enemy model may be hit the number of times equal to it's unit strength. It would solve the silly situation when eg. a Giant can be hit at most once.
Voyager_3

Postby method » Wed May 13, 2009 6:30 pm

so did we determine if the blunderbusses can fire thru their own units?
method

Postby mattbird » Wed May 13, 2009 8:17 pm

they can't, as per the BRB. They are meant to be exactly the same as currently...
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby Matt » Thu May 14, 2009 1:28 am

mattbird wrote:they can't, as per the BRB. They are meant to be exactly the same as currently...

What if you let them shoot through slaves? Too much like skaven?

-Matt
Matt

Postby mikkjel » Thu May 14, 2009 6:04 am

Yeah, shooting through ones own units would be somewhat bad. I still think being able to fire at stuff you cannot see is bad, especially with a move and fire weapon (even if its only m3). Possibly prevent blunderbusses from firing the same turn you have turned or changed formation (think dick cheney), because trying to get stuff around blunderbuss armed units on a flank would be a horrible experience.
mikkjel

PreviousNext

Return to Core