Chaos Dwarf Warrior version 2 comments here!

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

Re: Chaos Dwarf Warrior version 2 comments here!

Postby Zhorn » Tue May 26, 2009 10:59 am

Since there is no seperate "Annihilators" thread, here are my proposed changes to this troop type (mostly due to testing done with european players several years ago):

Rules as are, starting with strength 2, going up to strength 4, armor piercing special rule, number of hits = unit strength.

This would reduce the effectiveness of Annihilators vs. large blocks of slow moving, low toughness, low armor save units (read: human and elf infantry ;) ) while upping the effectiveness vs. the rest.
Zhorn

Postby big al » Wed May 27, 2009 10:25 am

well the problem with that (which I only see 1) is that my dwarf ironbreakers bear the rune of stoicsm, so if my mv 3 unit gets within 12" of your blunderbusses, that means you get 40 shots?
big al

Postby Grimstonefire » Wed May 27, 2009 2:21 pm

mattbird wrote:Don't forget, Dwarfs used to have access to spears, up through 5th Ed. ;)

I think we're close to sold on the current version of the swivel gun (eruption gun) / Warrior unit interaction. Spears I don't think are useful (neither are extra hand weapons, which are worse than spears), but they could be fun are are potentially useful, unlike other potential weapon options for dwarfs. Halberds and flails would be useless compared to great weapons, and I think Kevin wanted some other weapon options present.

Additional hand weapons and chaos armour.... Sounds pretty good to me! ;)
Grimstonefire

Postby Ring87 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:44 pm

Add spears for 1pt each and get the same # of attacks as 2 HWs (very rare to get the charge anyway) plus AS 3+ instead of 4+. Plus you could choose to go HW+shield vs heavy hitters for that 2+ AS. At 13 pts each they are expensive but flexable.

Chaos Armor and shields of course are the best at 12pts a pop. Chaos Warriors they are not, but hey, good for Dwarves.
Ring87

Postby Zhorn » Thu May 28, 2009 5:29 am

big al wrote:well the problem with that (which I only see 1) is that my dwarf ironbreakers bear the rune of stoicsm, so if my mv 3 unit gets within 12" of your blunderbusses, that means you get 40 shots?

Yes. In a perfect world (for the CD player, anyways :D ) this would be the case.

Frankly speaking, i have no problem with this. it is the interaction of blunderbusses with a single item of a single army - an army which is capable of reducing the effectiveness of blunderbusses to more manageable levels (shooting a single blunderbusser is mostly enough to reduce their strength by 1) easily. On top of that, the blunderbuss unit needs to be aligned perfectly and will kill aproximately 5 or 6 ironbreakers when at full shooting strength - less if strength is reduced to str 3.

I read the idea to simplify blunderbuss shooting rules on this board to automaticaly hit 1 unit (no template required) and only that unit to smoothe out the rules. Under these circumstances the aforementioned case seems more severe but then, blunderbusses could easily go up in points by 2 under these new and simplified (and improved) rules.

When we tested those rules some years ago there was no rune of stoicism. So we didn't think about this particular interaction of rules.
Zhorn

Postby big al » Thu May 28, 2009 9:42 am

I think the blunderbuss rules are fine the way they are. The CDs have big ass shotguns, 12" range, high strength. What's so hard to deal with the way they shoot? they shoot in a straight line, all you have to do is wheel the unit (which you can since you have 3") and fire away.
big al

Postby Garrett » Fri May 29, 2009 12:05 am

I played this evening against Rob Kopp's O&G. Took two blocks of Warriors with chaos armor/spear/shield and an eruption gun. I think these guys are just about perfect.
Garrett

Postby mattbird » Fri May 29, 2009 10:43 am

Thanks for the feedback Garrett, I've been running a similar setup for 4 games, and agree.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby mattbird » Fri May 29, 2009 10:47 am

Hi all, here are some new tentatively planned blunderbuss rules which you can try out if you like. These are not definite for the next version.

Blunderbuss
12" range str 3, automatically hit on 4+ with no penalties or bonuses other than for soft and hard cover. May move and shoot. *Note that this rule also covers the crew of the Juggernaut and the magic blunderbuss weapon

Annihilators
In addition to firing blunderbusses normally, Annihilators may instead fire a concentrated volley.

Concentrated Volley
Instead of firing their blunderbusses normally, units of Annihilators may instead fire a concentrated volley. In order to fire a concentrated volley, each model in the front rank must be within firing range.

When used in this way, the volley will hit each model in the target unit on a roll of 4+.

Additionally, the current rank bonus of the Annihilators is added to the strength of each hit, up to a maximum of strength 5. Ranks after the first do not need be within normal firing range to give this bonus.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby Garrett » Fri May 29, 2009 7:40 pm

Not really following how that's different. Do you mean each model in the firing unit hits the same target-ie, inflicts multiple hits on the same specific model?
Garrett

PreviousNext

Return to Core