Obsidian Guard comments here

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

Re: Obsidian Guard comments here

Postby Grimstonefire » Fri May 22, 2009 12:37 pm

True, I had forgotten about the ironbreakers as unrestricted core... ;)
Grimstonefire

Postby Aves » Wed May 27, 2009 4:35 pm

Well there is 1 problem with this unit, they are dwarfs, so M3, so nearly everything always charge on them, always, so everyone will always buy them shields for effective save of 2+. Then the whole point of great weapon wielding unit goes away. On the other hand giving them 2 attacks will cause player to still use shields and hope that 2 S4 per model will be enough.
Then again shields are very helpfull at least against missile fire, to balance it without changing unit stats could be adding special abilitites when wielding great weapons. Killing blow wouldnt be so overpowered as when charged 5 man front and having 2-3 casualities retaliation will be more tie oriented and killing blows would help them against calvary.

Surviving 1st turn of combat case, when using shield+hand weapon isnt such a problem, but then again
Clad in black chaos armour and wielding
huge silver-plated axes,

I propose taking away immunity to psychology, leaving fear, and add stubborn when accompanied by a character. Also if unit panics or breaks when being led by accompanied character then after (if) they raly then character is being executed for giving a retreat order.
Aves

Postby Renufus » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:54 am

One idea I toyed with in a recent game is removing the shield option (GW and chaos armour only) and playing them as ITP and stubborn. I used a unit of 12 and they were absolute gold, but not OTT. In this way they were very similar to White Lions and Hammerers - a solid all-round choice that definitely has its uses as both an anvil and a hammer unit. Perhaps this isn't how you envision them being used, but IMHO being stubborn instead of causing fear has made all the difference and has made them one of my favorite units.
Renufus

Postby Matt » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:25 pm

Renufus wrote:One idea I toyed with in a recent game is removing the shield option (GW and chaos armour only) and playing them as ITP and stubborn. I used a unit of 12 and they were absolute gold, but not OTT. In this way they were very similar to White Lions and Hammerers - a solid all-round choice that definitely has its uses as both an anvil and a hammer unit. Perhaps this isn't how you envision them being used, but IMHO being stubborn instead of causing fear has made all the difference and has made them one of my favorite units.

Throw in a character with a black gem, and you're dragon/bloodthirster proof as well.

If you do throw an ITP and stubborn unit in, I'd like to see the black gem has a shorter duration (1 round phase, or ending on a 4+ each round after the 1st).
The synergy of the two together is a bit too much of a no brainer.
(High Priest, who can not be hit in melee, keeps casting, while the stubborn 9 unit stays put the whole game.)

I do like the idea though. I run two immune to fear and terror hammerer units in my dwarf army, and they are priceless.

-Matt
Matt

Previous

Return to Special