V3 Sneaky Gits comments here!

Postby mattbird » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:39 am

comments here

EDIT: Change unit size from 20+ to 10+, thanks
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Re: V3 Sneaky Gits comments here!

Postby Border Reiver » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:17 pm

Can someone explain to me the logic behind a ranked unit of 20 SCOUTING and finding any bit of terrain that will be able to hide them?

For what it is, the unit should have a minimum size of 10, skirmish and cost about 8 points each.
Border Reiver

Postby Guy In Suit » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:32 pm

Maybe instead of just scouting they could get a free march move or something. Scouting a ranked unit doesn't really work as you have to be near terrain, as said terrain is a huge hindrance to you. By the time you move around it you don't save any time vs. just marching the first turn.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby mattbird » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:37 pm

at the least, they should be 10+. I'd say test them that way, I think Kevin forgot to switch it back.

(I did run a unit of 20 scouting in one game, and they did well enough. )
mattbird

Postby Renufus » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:16 pm

I agree, having a 20+ ranked scouting unit is just...bleh. The fact that they now take up a special choice as well just means that mine are going back on the shelf.

It definitely doesn't work for Dwarf Rangers, I don't see any reason why it should work for Sneaky Gits which are quite a bit worse. Imagine if you set up behind a piece of terrain and subsequently rolled a 6 for your Animosity test. The unit effectively just took itself out of the game through no fault of the player.

I really don't like them.
Renufus

Postby mattbird » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:29 pm

I have added a note at the top of the the thread- these should be 10+, not 20+. Please try them out that way. thanks!
mattbird

Postby Guy In Suit » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:33 pm

I thought of a really fun rule:

Dems iz Sneaky!
Immediately after deployment, if controlling player also has one or more units of Hobgoblin Warriors in the army, they may opt to use the Sneaky Gits subterfuge to redeploy. Place a marker in front of the unit of sneaky gits and a unit of hobgoblin warriors, as close to the center of the front rank as possible. Then switch the locations of the units so that any part of the unit touches the other marker. Note that units may change formation and facing, and that any characters in either unit are moved with the unit as well.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby Hashuts Scion » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:25 am

Just for clarification,

Each Sneaky gits get the additional attacks for flank and rear, not just an overall +1 or +2 attack per unit. One of the players I play with, who tends to use the letter of the the text, argues that it says the sneaky gits get the added attacks and not EACH sneaky git.
Hashuts Scion

Postby Matt » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:11 am

Hashuts Scion wrote:Just for clarification,

Each Sneaky gits get the additional attacks for flank and rear, not just an overall +1 or +2 attack per unit. One of the players I play with, who tends to use the letter of the the text, argues that it says the sneaky gits get the added attacks and not EACH sneaky git.

Slap that guy.

As for the gits, I like the pre-game move more than scouting. Scouting can be very situational on terrain. A free move early on will let you push up a flank so you can try and turn the corner and bring all those bonus attacks into play.

-Matt
Matt

Postby Hashuts Scion » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:53 am

Kevin, et al.,
I playtested with the current version of sneaky gits a few times. I've noticed the scout rule doesn't really help. Finding a piece of terrain to hide in is one thing, but without missile fire, they still have to maneuver THROUGH the terrain. This means you take 1-3 turns getting out, by which time, they are dead or completely out of position. If it is behind the terrain, then you spend a turn or two just moving and one bad roll of animosity can get you move INTO the terrain wasting another turn.

I'd say since they are special, give them a rule that allows them to ignore terrain (ie move in an open position, or skirmish), or hide in the open (under grass blankets or such), or give them throwing knives. It is nice to give them additional attacks when flanking/rear attacking, but getting them into that position has been all but impossible in the games I have played so far.
Hashuts Scion

Next

Return to Special