Testing...

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

Testing...

Postby CrazyChaosLord » Wed May 13, 2009 8:57 am

So I played a game last night against Ludwig's Lizardmen army, which went 4-0-1 at Colonial.

Thoughts.

The magic is horrid. I think I cast 1 spell with a High Priest and 2 Daemonsmiths, and a bound banner.

1 spell the entire game.

And that was against 1 scroll, 5 dd Lizardmen. Pretty average magic defense completely shut this army's casting ability down. I think you need to introduce secondary casters, or move to a more traditional magic phase. Otherwise, it really just isn't worth the lord choice.

Daemoneaters are busted as hell. The secondary impact hits are entirely too good for 85 points, even with only 3 wounds.

Swivel guns are too expensive for what they do. I suggest 45 points.

Blunderbuss should go up to 13 points, and Warriors should go down to 8, with a complete kit- I'd suggest Halberd/spear, HEavy Armor, and Shield.

A few minor tweaks are definately in order but they're simple fixes.

I think maybe Chaos Dwarf Heroes should add bonuses to Warrior units only to make them appealing; ie, hatred, stubborn, itp, etc.
CrazyChaosLord

Re: Testing...

Postby mattbird » Wed May 13, 2009 9:52 am

I moved this to the BatRep section.

Good summary, thanks! I'm really really curious how the magic plays out, so thanks for trying that. The rest of your summations are in line with most initial thoughts.

Can you give a brief summary as to why your magic phase did not go off?
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby MantisZero » Wed May 13, 2009 12:38 pm

I need to test play the magic phase, i dont see how it can be that bad. Maybe have it work like TK magic where the High Priest can cast 2 spells at 2D6 and the Demonsmiths can cast the spell bound within the item at 1D6.
MantisZero

Postby CrazyChaosLord » Wed May 13, 2009 1:05 pm

IDK Joe- my honest opinion- the magic phase SUCKS.
CrazyChaosLord

Postby Garrett » Wed May 13, 2009 1:13 pm

I'm going to run a 1 Priest, 2 Daemonsmith list for a game tomorrow, let's see if it's a coincidence or really symptomatic. The reality of playtesting is that we need a few tests of pretty much everything.

I didn't get a chance to see how the Daemoneater worked, it did get cannonballed on Turn 2 last night. :) I think it might be a little inexpensive for what it does-the subsequent impact hits are really what does it, maybe replace it with 1D6 attacks with a 'normal' profile in subsequent turns?
Garrett

Postby mattbird » Wed May 13, 2009 1:20 pm

CrazyChaosLord wrote:IDK Joe- my honest opinion- the magic phase SUCKS.

can you be specific as to why you were not able to cast spells?
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby BenTheRat » Wed May 13, 2009 1:25 pm

I'm also not seeing it.

You have 2 bounds PL 7, 2 other bounds on the daemonsmiths (what were those, maybe that will help if they were more situaitonal) and then the standard bound.

Now assuming only 1-1 out of the 4, and assuming the daemonsmiths were PL 4, I just don't see how you get stopped so easily.

I'd probably do +2 to PL's, at PL 7. He rolls 2 or 3 dice to stop it. 3 90% chance, or 2, then about 58% chance. of success.
Then drop the 3 bounds, standard PL 3, 1 dice? 67% chance to dispel
then DS 1: PL 4, 1-2 dice: 83% chance it works, 50% chance to dispel
then DS 2: PL 4, 0 dice, 83% chance it works
then HP, 2nd casting PL 7, 83% chance it works. Scrolls this.

Now if the LM had +1 to dispel this would help him out a lot.
If one of your DS, dropped a 1 on turn 1 or 2, that would hurt some.

But barring both your DS's dropping 1's in turn 1 or 2, I just do not understand how he stops your magic. And the HP is dropping some nasty spells.

I was testing this with a friend with 1 DS and banner + HP and got off 1 spell turn 1 because he scrolled one, and 2 spells turn 2 and he had 6 DD and 1 scroll.
And I was going banner, DS, Eruption, Petrify. Now I didn't roll any 1's in that first 2 turns, but the dwarf player was just stunned.

Now I can see it collapsing on itself if your DS guys drop a 1, but with the HP able to get +1 Init, and be able to drop 3 before he stops casting, is very powerful.
Ben The Rat
Tales of Battle
Real Armies
Real Battles

http://www.talesofbattle.com
BenTheRat

Postby MantisZero » Wed May 13, 2009 1:30 pm

Brian forgot to mention that the game was over on turn 4 when he tabled that Lizard army! :lol:

Again, if you throw down the +2 power lvl spell first your opponent almost has to scroll or throw 3 dice. You cant risk chucking only 2 and letting it get off. That spell eats up most dice... then you have the nuke spell, 2D6 missile, bound golem missile, Demon item and so on... i need to play it out but i dont see how its so easy to stop.

I know for the next GT my High Elves will be buying the Staff of Sorcery so we get +2 tp dispell! :D
MantisZero

Postby Matt » Wed May 13, 2009 1:57 pm

I'll cross post this to the magic section as well.

When designing a list, don't just look at average, also look at the most abusive possible.
bound 5, 2 bound 4's, bound 3, bound 4 banner, and 2 spells (bound 7).

Even if you dispel the +2 to the rest of the bound spells, you're going up against, 7, 7, 5, 4, 4, 4, 3.

That seems pretty damn good to me.

What does seem weak is the magical defense. They are capped at 5 dispel dice + scrolls.

-Matt
Matt

Postby BenTheRat » Wed May 13, 2009 2:05 pm

the HP generates 2 DD, so if someone pops on the Helm, you have 7 DD and a scroll.

Thats about as good as anyone ever gets.
Ben The Rat
Tales of Battle
Real Armies
Real Battles

http://www.talesofbattle.com
BenTheRat

Next

Return to Battle Reports