Moderators: Anger Worm, siridar

Re: Date TBD - Steamroller Tournament - The Compleat Strateg

Postby Guy In Suit » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:30 am

We do more thinking up here than in South Jersey, obviously. :orcsslobber:
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby keithb » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:53 am

10 minutes/turn is standard steamroller. Perfectly fine for people starting out. Not everyone needs to play hardcore right out of the gate.
keithb

Postby siridar » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:53 pm

Normally at 10 minutes per turn I manage to get in three rounds easy. I'm trying to run a slightly tighter ship and cut some time down to try and squeeze in a fourth round, but that's going to be tight. That's one of the reasons for having the Bragging Rights events. I get to experiment a little more and see what works as there is less on the line in those tournaments.

So far it looksl ike I may end up cancelling the January event and make the Feb one a Steamroller event. I'll have a definite answer by Friday.
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
siridar

Postby njpc » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:27 pm

Guy In Suit wrote:We do more thinking up here than in South Jersey, obviously. :orcsslobber:

Likely, if you need 10 minutes a turn to play warmachine! :D
I'm kidding on this obviously. If its the first event you guys are having where a lot of people are learning still, 10 minutes makes sense. My first event I went to had the hardcore time limits. Its how I learned that game. The person that taught me actually taught me to play with 5 min play turns. Not everyone is up for that, nor is there a reason to do that. I will say, the 35 pt 2 minute game turn was possible the most stressful gaming experience i've ever experienced, closely followed by my attempt to play Day 2 of last years colonial while likely still under the influence.
njpc

Postby keithb » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:46 pm

I think time limits, as they become harsher, have a greater effect on list building. Particularly caster choice.

2 minutes is rather silly, you don't even have time to roll dice for your models.
keithb

Postby njpc » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:07 pm

I don't think its silly, its just different. It does drastically change list decision. For example, most people have all jacks and a few solo's. You don't see infantry at all, maybe a unit of 6 to shieldwall and block or man o'wars. Its just a different style event. It was very fun and challenging. But it was a "hardcore extreme" event. You really need to know the rules, and also work quickly with you opponent. I went 2-1, played a Jack Heavy Darius list from MkI.
njpc

Re: Feb 26 - Steamroller Tournament - The Compleat Strateg

Postby njpc » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:45 am

Any update if you guys are still have a steam roller 2/26? I am in a debate to hop a train and a cab for a day trip up to NYC to get some games in. It would be quite the commute, so i'm starting planning now.

I'd try to convince a few guys to trek it with me, plus I have to say one of the best things is the fact that NYC has barbecue meat products on a stick on solid by street vendors. I'm not going to pretends its not rat, cat, or dog, but its good :D
njpc

Re: Feb 26 - Steamroller Tournament - The Compleat Strateg

Postby siridar » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:40 pm

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
siridar

Previous

Return to Warmachine / Hordes