Unit Formation

Moderators: Anger Worm, siridar

Unit Formation

Postby Trollicious » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:59 pm

Since this came up, I thought I'd check it out.

While a model in a unit is out of formation, it cannot perform actions, suffers -2 CMD, and must make a leadership test at the end of its activation. Each out of formation model makes a separate leadership test.
So it seems that if you charge out of formation, the model will not be able to make any attacks once it gets there, and will have to take an immediate leadership test.

If a model starts its activation out of formation, then it must make a full advance or run DIRECTLY towards the unit commander, and will forfeit its action regardless.

I think this is how it works from what I can find on pg 71. If I'm reading something wrong, let me know.
-Charlie
Trollicious

Re: Unit Formation

Postby Trollicious » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:01 pm

The way this reads, it would also seem that out of formation models cannot make free strikes.
-Charlie
Trollicious

Postby gnarg » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:58 pm

Yep, I'd have to agree with you there. At least that part of the game we played wasn't really pivotal to the outcome, so I don't have to feel like I inadvertently cheated ... too much.
Last edited by gnarg on Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon
gnarg

Postby gnarg » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:13 pm

I read over the rules in the book, and while I still agree with you, they need to be more clear about exactly when you check for formation. Certainly before they activate and after they finish activation, but then after each troopers movement? After they all move? You certainly don't continually check throughout the activation or Doom Reavers would never be able to charge more than 7 inches unless they started behind the captain, which seems dumb.

The only two times they explicitly state that you check are before and after activation, in which case my Iron Fangs would have been fine, but I do agree with you that they imply that you should check at other times, they just aren't clear about when.
Jon
gnarg

Postby Trollicious » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:16 pm

I think it's all in the phrase "While out of formation"

Technically a trooper can charge a target, leaving formation, and then the rest of the unit would move, placing it back in formation. After movement, the models make their attacks/actions. Those in formation can make them, those outside cannot, and must make leadership checks once the activation ends. And I agree that it really didn't matter in our game. I just always like to check up on those pesky rules question when they come up.
-Charlie
Trollicious

Postby siridar » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:36 pm

To keep it simple just check formation when beginning a unit's activation, then after all model's in the unit has moved.
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
siridar

Postby gnarg » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:40 pm

Then one more time at the end of the activation, in case the captain died / teleported around.
Jon
gnarg

Postby siridar » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:58 pm

Sure, but there aren't very many units/models that will be moving once all movement is done.
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
siridar

Postby TLN » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:57 pm

On this note - if a unit that's out of formation fails a CMD check due to Terror/Abomination, does the whole unit fail?

That, plus PS + CMD penalties could be fun with Coven's IM.

Don't think it's addressed in the book, but I'll check when I have the chance.
Dan W.
TLN

Postby siridar » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:48 pm

It's noted in Prime if a unit fails a command check then out-of-formation troopers also fail.

Out-of-formation troopers are still part of the unit, so if an out-of-formation tropper fails a CMD check the unit would also fail.
siridar

Next

Return to Warmachine / Hordes