Unit Formation

Moderators: Anger Worm, siridar

Re: Unit Formation

Postby siridar » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:48 pm

It's noted in Prime if a unit fails a command check then out-of-formation troopers also fail.

Out-of-formation troopers are still part of the unit, so if an out-of-formation tropper fails a CMD check the unit would also fail.
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
siridar

Postby Trollicious » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:04 am

TLN wrote:On this note - if a unit that's out of formation fails a CMD check due to Terror/Abomination, does the whole unit fail?

That, plus PS + CMD penalties could be fun with Coven's IM.

Don't think it's addressed in the book, but I'll check when I have the chance.

And theres yet another awesome way to use a warwitch siren: seduce a model right out of formation.
-Charlie
Trollicious

Postby TLN » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:33 am

Well........ this is adding up to quite the broken combo. Highly situational, but possibly brokenly fun :D
Dan W.
TLN

Postby Trollicious » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:10 pm

You don't even need to have IM with so many terror causing models:
seether
tartarus
rengrave
gerlak
black ogrun
bloodgorgers
...and of course the combine
This opens up possibilities from alot of casters, many of whom have terror/abom

It's going to wind up being all about the siren delivery, which would make me consider pdenny/edenny or eskarre
-Charlie
Trollicious

Postby TLN » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:54 pm

Yeah, but with Templecon being over after Feb and you talking about playing Zerkova, I thought I'd bust out our jank caster.. lol

Cept fuck Goreshade, he doesn't even get to count as part of Cryx army :D So coven it is :D
Dan W.
TLN

Postby Guy In Suit » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:11 pm

I still feel like you crazy kidz are all speaking a different language.

That aside,

Do people really spread units out that much that these tactics to move models out of formation really work?

I tend to find myself always clumping unless I know their are AOE's coming, and sometimes even if they are...

Then again my infantry is just there to take up space and block lanes, so maybe thats why :P
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby siridar » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:42 pm

I think a lot of that is dependent on terrain and what you're doing with your units. I don't usually spread my units out so thin, but it does happen when you're trying to cover a large chunk of the board or with a really large unit (Warriors+UA+3xWA).
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
siridar

Postby TLN » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Guy In Suit wrote:I still feel like you crazy kidz are all speaking a different language.

That aside,

Do people really spread units out that much that these tactics to move models out of formation really work?

I tend to find myself always clumping unless I know their are AOE's coming, and sometimes even if they are...

Then again my infantry is just there to take up space and block lanes, so maybe thats why :P

It depends what you want to do with them.

I do spread out my stuff quite a bit. You can set up a unit so it presents multiple threat vectors for low SPD stuff. For high SPD stuff, you can telegraph somewhere and hit somewhere else. Or just tie crap up with incorporeal Blood Witches and piss people off.

Some stuff, of course, should be kept a bit closer together.. especially stuff that needs to be scoring.
Dan W.
TLN

Previous

Return to Warmachine / Hordes