First stab at Borka

Moderators: Anger Worm, siridar

First stab at Borka

Postby Daggermouth » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:00 pm

Hola compadres! While finishing up painting my cryx my gamer ADD is taking over and I'm starting to think of my next project. Trolls! Anyway, I'm thinking of starting with Borka and Calandra. I'm pretty happy with the list I have for Calandra, but could use some advice on my Borka list. First off I should say, I really want to have long riders in the list. And now, on to it.

Borka
Mulg
Krielstone bearer and min unit
-elder
Full Fennblades
Min Longriders
Horthol
Fell caller
Swamp Gobbers

My biggest concern is whether or not mulg will be enough to fuel Borka throughout the game. It would also be Nice to toss in the fennblades UA, but I don't know where to cut the points. Both of these issues are settled in the 50 point bracket.

Thanks!
Ian
Daggermouth

Re: First stab at Borka

Postby siridar » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:08 pm

One warbeast is rough for any warlock, except maybe for Grissel or Morvhanna[Circle]. Mulg is good, but there are other decent options too. An Impaler is nice for Farstrike and general knock-backiness-on-a-crit-hit. The Axer is good for it's animus and Thresher on a reach warbeast is nice too. The Earthborn is dependable, and the Dire Troll will eat nearly anything in it's path with a nice STR buff animus.

Proxy different combinations and see what works best for you.
siridar

First stab at Borka

Postby Daggermouth » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:42 am

I have a swamp toll too. I could always swap out mulg for a mauler and a swamp troll (for concealment and a transfer beast). I'd drop the swamp gobbers to make up the extra point. I'm not a huge fan of the swamp troll, but I don't know what else to drop in order to take an axer (or slag troll) instead.
Ian
Daggermouth

Postby SteveinNYC » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:29 am

I'd drop the Krielstone bearer; I know it's popular but the Long Riders are already hard to kill and the full Fennblades present a lot of threats so I think the benefit is marginal.

If you want to keep the Krielstone bearer then I would try dropping your heavies and running light beasts; an Axer and either a Pyre Troll or a Slag Troll is where I'd start. Instead of killing your opponent's heavy hitters, knock them down (mosh pit, long rider slams) and tie them up with a Fennblade or two.
SteveinNYC

Postby Trollicious » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:48 pm

The reason to keep the KSB, is if you plan on leading in with Borka. He's one of the most survivable casters in the whole game, capable of def 17 (no KD) arm 21 (with KSB) and up to 6 transfers if he upkeeps iron flesh, and just runs in there.

Personally, I'd say chose Long Riders or Fennblades at 35, and wait till 50 before adding a second unit to the list. You have lots of great unit buffing abilities (iron flesh, fell calls, and feat) but it's difficult to maximize the effectiveness when you start running multiple units at the expense of beast utility and the options of multiple animi.

If you want to to all out invincible borka, I'd recommend the earthborn and janissa for an arm23 borka behind a wall.

If you want to maximize fennblades, I'd say bring the UA, fell caller, and a chronicler. They're pretty survivable with concealment(chronicler) and iron flesh, followed by a 13" charge at mat 8 with KD on the weapons(mosh pit), and KD if you kill one(chronicler)

If you want t go with Horthol and the long riders, I'd say get a mauler in there so you can have them charge out with a hefty STR buff on them. They'll impact through troops easily, and at pow 17 (or 18 with the KSB elder), they can really start punching through hard targets.
Trollicious

First stab at Borka

Postby Daggermouth » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:16 pm

Awesome, thanks for the input. I'll probably make two lists and see which one I like. Ive never played a front line caster before so it's tempting to toss in all of the "make Borka really hard to kill" stuff and just go apeshit. My second list would be more full army oriented. I'll write a couple up and post them later.
Ian
Daggermouth

First stab at Borka

Postby Daggermouth » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:30 pm

Second stabs at Borka:

Army centric Borka
Army Name: Borka 35 - Army
Trollbloods
35+5 points, 22 models

Borka Kegslayer +5 points
* Pyg Keg Carrier
* Dire Troll Mauler 9 points
* Slag Troll 6 points
* Troll Axer 6 points

Fell Caller Hero 3 points
Stone Scribe Chronicler 2 points
Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew 1 point
Trollkin Champion Hero 3 points
10 Trollkin Fennblades 8 points
* Fennblade Officer & Drummer 2

I could also go full Kriel warriors with UA and WA for tarpit / knockdowns instead of the fenns.

Other option:
Army Name: Borka 35 - Hard To Kill
Trollbloods
35+5 points, 17 models

* Pyg Keg Carrier
* Mauler 9 points
* Swamp Troll 4 points

Swamp gobbers 1 point
Horthol, Long Rider Hero 5 points
Janissa Stonetide 3 points
4 Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes 3 points
* Stone Scribe Elder 1 point
5 Trollkin Long Riders 11 points

This one adds a bit more survivability to Borka and a definite threat of a full long riders unit. It may be too much points to sink in one unit at 35 points though.
Ian
Daggermouth

First stab at Borka

Postby Daggermouth » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:15 pm

This may be a compromise in the middle. Aside from not having long riders (which I add at 50), I like the way it looks.

* Pyg Keg Carrier
* Mulg the Ancient 12 points
* Troll Axer 6 points

Min Kriel stone unit + elder 4 points
Janissa Stonetide 3 points
Stone Scribe Chronicler 2 points
10 Trollkin Fennblades 8 points
* Fennblade Officer & Drummer 2 points
Ian
Daggermouth

Postby Leenus » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:40 pm

You look similar to borka, so good first stab
Leenus

First stab at Borka

Postby Daggermouth » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:29 pm

Is that why you started playing the harbinger?
Ian
Daggermouth

Return to Warmachine / Hordes