You got me....

Moderators: Anger Worm, siridar

Re: You got me....

Postby deFl0 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:58 pm

I think I'm just goign to start with Denny and Gaspy to get an understanding of the game and a feel for cryx.

Once I start painting and playing it I can start refining my play style and when casters might be better for me.

With that said, what would be the models I would want to purchase and the stereo typical builds. I can tweek them later, but at this point I just want to start trying to figure out how all the models work together.
deFl0

Postby Charlie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:18 am

For getting to learn your way around Cryx, the starter box is a pretty good into build. Most Cryx caster want at least two Bonejacks with Archnodes to work with. The choice of which ones You use is really a matter of taste.

The Slayer is a very cheap and effective Helljack, but most player would probably swap it out for a Seether, or upgrade it to Nightmare with Denny, but I'd probably stick with the Slayer just to learn things. For a ranged jack Malice is very sexy.

The generic infantry pick up is a full unit of Bane Thralls, their unit attachment, and Banelord Tartarus. The second infantry pick up is usually Bile Thralls. A Skarlock and maybe a Pistol Wraith are solid solos. Warwitch Siren is probably more entertaining.

With other casters you will probably want Satyxis infantry, but Banes and Biles are universally effective
Charlie

Postby deFl0 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:34 pm

does tartarus work with thralls? also what do you mean unit attachments? officer and standard?
deFl0

Postby siridar » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:16 pm

They're additional, optional models you can "attach" to a unit hat provides additional benefits, such as abilities that the entire unit receives or new Orders that the unit can do. It's a nice way to add some extra options to a specific unit.
siridar

Postby Charlie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:35 pm

deFl0 wrote:does tartarus work with thralls? also what do you mean unit attachments? officer and standard?

In Warmahordes Unit Attachments (usually just written UA) are typically command groups like the officer and standard, but are often just heavy hitters or add an extra ability. Examples of these for Cryx would be Brute Thralls added to mechanithralls and Satyxis witches. UAs are part of the unit they are assigned to for all intents and purposes, like champions, musicians, and standards in Warhammer Fantasy.

Tartarus is a Solo. So, you could bring him without any Bane units at all if you wanted, but most of his cool abilities are [Bane], so they work with any type of Bane Thrall/Knight unit when he is close by. Unlike the UAs, Tartarus would activate independent of them.

There are also units of Solos, which is oxymoronic, but just indicates that they are usually units of 2-3 models where each model has unique abilities in addition to some shared ones. The Withershadow Combine is the Cryx version of this, and they are also super sexy and highly competitive.

Charlie
Charlie

Previous

Return to Warmachine / Hordes