team malifaux game feb 23?

Moderator: Guy In Suit

Re: team malifaux game feb 23?

Postby Guy In Suit » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:40 pm

If you bring a starter box - there is a good chance you can get a game in as well - small games only take an hour, even for a beginner.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby Thallon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:43 am

Awesome!

I ordered Sonnia, Seamus, Rasputina, and Viktorias - which one should I bring as the most straight-forward with which to play a first, learning game?
Thallon

Postby Anger Worm » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:24 am

You should probably learn with the faction you see yourself most likely expanding, which is probably going to be the one with your favorite models. Its always a good idea in miniature gaming to go with what you like the look of the most. Because you build a list before a game the more models you have in a single faction, the wider the variety you have to choose from to best match your opponent. Besides the added flexibility it also gives you more variety when using your favorite caster(s), and more options is more fun. It's harder to learn 4 different factions than pick one and learn how and when to use its components. Every faction has multiple masters to choose from, so if you get bored of one you can add on another and many of the models you have will be usable with either.

As far as I know you have several good masters for starting.

Rasputina is a very magic oriented master. If you like the idea of a slow, icily methodical spell slinger then she's good for that classic mage type. AFAIK her mechanics are straightforward with nuance added as you grow. Her focus is around monsters made of ice.

Seamus is the opposite of rasputina. He's the least potent resurrectionist when it comes to raising dead. What he is is a tough tank that enhances his crew of rotton belles and uses terror to scare living opponents to shut them down. And he carries a big gun. Again he's fairly straightforward with room for added complexity later on.

The Viktorias are a somewhat straightforward pair built around engaging in melee. They catapult one another to get some massive hits in close quarters. This is a very aggressive pair, and a good choice if you like the sound of dicing your opponent up.

Sonnia is a bit more complicated. She's a fireball slinging caster type who also shuts down enemy spells.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby Guy In Suit » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:28 am

The only one that isn't very straightforward out of the box is the Vikkies - simply because their box doesn't have any internal synergies - each model operates more or less in vacuum - so it isn't obvious at first what each is supposed to be doing to contribute to the win.

But the golden rule is to bring the models you like best and want to get some paint on first ;)
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby Thallon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:54 pm

Sounds good - I'll probably bring Seamus (and maybe Rasputina) since I like the look of his box the best. Thanks for the advice!

Now for a dumb question (especially since I've been in CS many, many times) - where do people play? I know there's a basement or gaming room or something, but how do you get there from the main floor?
Thallon

Postby Anger Worm » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:57 pm

Walk along the right side of the store. You'll come to an open door. Walk through it and you'll see a staircase to the right. Go down those stairs, avoid the caltrops and pit of flame, and you'll reach a room full of gamers and gaming tables.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby Thallon » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:36 pm

Sorry I missed stopping by today - I ended up in Newark for work. Hope it was a good time - I'll try to be there for the next one.
Thallon

Postby Anger Worm » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:39 am

As it was the best time evar I don't think it will be duplicated again so don't bother.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Previous

Return to Malifaux