Help me make a list

Moderator: Guy In Suit

Help me make a list

Postby SteveinNYC » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:00 am

I'm thinking of breaking my Malifaux out again, but I've got no clue what the meta is like and all I've got left is the Lady Justice box set, Sonnia Criid box set, and a Convict Gunslinger. Is there a decent list I can make with that?
SteveinNYC

Re: Help me make a list

Postby Guy In Suit » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:18 am

I know its tough to break the mindset of other games wherein list-building is King - but that simply isn't the case in Malifaux.

Everything I can say will have a *but if* attached to it, because certain opponents, strategies and terrain set ups change everything.

Your model pool has a ton of great 4SS minions. If you are going in blind I'd lean towards the Witchlings over the Death Marshals, as although you won't need their dispel abilities against all opponents, you will be very thankful that you have it when you do.

If you are just getting back into the game, I'd shy away from the Judge and Sam Hopkins. Both have some powerful abilities, but they require more nuance to get the most out of them, and because they are expensive, it is usually simpler to just run two cheaper minions. I'd definitely include the Convict Gunslinger if you are playing Lady J - he can present a strong ranged threat cordon off a flank. This is why Lady J comes with marshalls - their stronger ranged abilities set up her Melee awesomesauce. Sonnia herself is a ranged goddess - so it would be more redundant.

You model selection does lack mobility - so you may have a hard time with certain strategies that reward you for getting somewhere quickly, like destroy the evidence or treasure hunt. The quickest way to patch this gap is a Watcher or two - very inexpensive and fast. The new guild minions coming out in Book 4 next week are also more mobile and have some interesting other abilities as well.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby SteveinNYC » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:55 pm

Thanks for the rundown, that's just what I was looking for. I wouldn't have thought to use the Convict Gunslinger over the Judge.
SteveinNYC

Postby Guy In Suit » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:38 pm

Yeah, the game is funny in that what at first seems counter-intuitive can actually work very well on the table top.

Sam Hopkins can work better with Lady J than Sonnia for example - even though both Sonnia and Sam focus on very powerful ranged attacks, they both need a :Tomes: for their best abilities, and there are only so many :Tomes: in the deck. Lady J could care less about :Tomes: so can give them all to Sam.

Just focus of playing each master with the simpler minions at first to get the hang of them. Once you better understand your own playstyle, then you can get tricksy with funky builds - like Fire Gamin, Witchling Handler, Desperate Mercs and Avatar with Sonnia, or Executioner, Lucius and Austringers with Lady Justice.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Return to Malifaux