High Elf Painting Blog Type Thing

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Re: High Elf Painting Blog Type Thing

Postby VectorAWX3 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:12 pm

Thanks. I try! :)

Updated inventory of what MUST be done by colonial:
40 shields for infantry
Paint 3 banners
Bases on all models
2 Mages (convert and paint)
2 Wyrms (paint)

I should have plenty of time, but I want to keep the pressure on myself. Slacking mode: off!

I figure it'll be after Colonial when I finally get around to doing EVERY highlight I want. But for Colonial, I really want to do two additional thing: a converted dead sealord (face down in a pool of his own blood, skewered by dozens of arrows--the fucker!) and a nice movement tray (Elven ship, halfway between a trireme and a junk, with lots of rigging anchored off a beach complete with ruins). Both are fun, and are there to add to the character of the army, which I think is important for any army going to a tournament. You don't want to be "the nicely painted high-elf army". You want to be "the cool high elf army on the beach with the sea-monsters and the boat". One is memorable. The other is not
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby VectorAWX3 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:11 am

OK... so I'm soliciting advice on shield arms. I have the general design I want. A left facing wyrm rising out of the water, using the colors of the warriors (purple sky and aqua sea) with waves, a moon, a comet, and stars. Should be nice. I did a test-shield, then lost the damn thing. : I'm still looking for it.

The thing is that I want the wyrms on the shield to match the wyrms I paint! So I need to get the wyrms at least done enough that I know the final scheme.

Here's the work on the wyrms so far:

Same exact process as the warriors. Prime them. Wash them in scurf (the scales, same as the warriors). Purple on the body (the soft parts, same as the warriors). Ya know.. I'm not crazy about the purple so far. Maybe it'll get better when I lighten it with some highlights. But at the moment, seems too much of a contrast from the scales. This is good to know. If I need to change it, now's the time. Worst case, I'll strip and reprime. But I'll give shading a try first.

Anyway, back to the shields. If you have any pics you can post of dragon shields, go ahead. I might just borrow (steal) your ideas. ;)
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby -Jarrett » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:28 am

I believe you can find some good examples of painted dragons on shields in Rob Lane's army:

us.games-workshop.com/gam...efault.htm

The shields
us.games-workshop.com/gam...guard5.htm

I think they give a how-to-do example in the High Elf army book. If not maybe if you google further you can dig it up..
-Jarrett

Postby VectorAWX3 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:49 am

Perfect! I totally dig his use of a ship on rought seas for one unit, a tower by rough seas for another unit, and the classic dragon from the water on the third unit.

Hmmm... should I stick to a single design, differentiating units by, say, the color of the comet on the corner of the shield? Or should I go with all different designs. Decisions, decisions
VectorAWX3

Postby -Jarrett » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:43 pm

You can do simple things like inverting the use of the color of the dragons, or one universal sheild design, but different banner designations. If you can come up with three easy, good designs then go for it, otherwise there are a lot of benefits to sticking with one: you only need to come up with one, you can use models interchangeably between units, you're not bound to any particular unit size/configuration.

I think the wyrms will look fine when you highlight. Keep them tied with the rest of the army, the same clashing colors. Turqoise scales for turqoise scale mail, purple skin for purple cloth - it works
-Jarrett

Postby slann » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:57 pm

All is looking good so far man.

The dragon looks like it will look fine after shading , though you can paint the outer most scales the ones that seperate the skin from scales a mix of the two colors to better tie the skin and scales together.

And you have inspired me too do the same blog type thing it looks like it keeps you motivated just knowing people are waiting to see cool progress , and my ogres have alot to be done by the end of april.
Would you rather pew pew pew pew or chic chic BLAM !!! chic chic BLAM !!!!
slann

Postby VectorAWX3 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:20 am

OK.. so before I do any work today (I'm not sure on what) I'll post the promised pics of the rest of the infantry.

Archers, champions (shadow warriors on the right of that pic.. one quite crosseyed--I'll have to fix him), and the whole army (excluding 2 characters and 2 wyrms):

Yup. The whole damn thing fits on the top of ONE cookie tin! I can deploy my entire army in less than a 1 foot square. Hell, I can deploy the entire thing in a 9 inch square (the LONG side of that cookie tin is 9 inches). :lol
VectorAWX3

Postby -Jarrett » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:11 am

Please oh please don't fix the cross eyed elf. He's the one you blame for bad rolls
-Jarrett

Postby VectorAWX3 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:21 am

Actually, he's not cross eyed. He's lazy eyed. And you know what a lazy eye gets you, right? That's right. A golden globe for Best Actor
VectorAWX3

Postby VectorAWX3 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:33 pm

February 14th. Valentine's day. Today I painted my wife's ass red. Want pictures? Sign up at the paysite.
VectorAWX3

PreviousNext

Return to Modeling and Painting