Future Floor Wax Dip...

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Future Floor Wax Dip...

Postby deFl0 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:34 pm

So I've airbrushed almost all my tanks at this point and was thinking about giving them a wash to bring out the recesses.

Has anyone created a big ink batch and just dipped a whole tank all at once???

I was thinking I might mix black ink and future floor wax and start dunking tanks. But I thought I'd touch base with you guys before I started this crazy en devour?

Crazy? Or Crazy enough to work?
deFl0

Re: Future Floor Wax Dip...

Postby VectorAWX3 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:39 pm

It's better brushed on rather than dunked. And keep in mind that when it starts to come down and pool up, it gets really sticky. If you just put your tanks on the table, they'd end up glued to the table! It would be best to have them floating up somehow when you did it, so excess wax/paint doesn't glue them down. Maybe place them on top of a strategically placed few sticks, or suspend them using a couple of strategically placed ropes. But let them drip!!! And brush it on.

Give it lots of time to dry, as well. Somthing that big might be tacky for a good day.

Oh, and it'll leave your tanks smelling like sweet, sweet candy. :)

By the way, if you look for the wax, it's no longer sold as Future Floor Wax. It's not Pledge Floor Wax (with Future something something in fine print).
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby WickerNipple » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:41 pm

FFW isn't for dunking.

Not saying it can't be used that way, but I've never tried it and would recommend using one of the products made for that.

My guess is it would wind up very streaky.
WickerNipple

Postby Pariah » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:38 am

For my tanks, I use a giant tank brush and normal ink and brush it on. Gives you more control over smearing and lets you drop it in the recesses better. It also doesn't take that long and I've even done it on super heavies.
Pariah

Postby Mordoria » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:31 am

i use a FFW mix but i dont dip, i brush on selectively. even watered down the stuff dries super thick. I water it down 4:1 (water,FFW) then i add it to a 1:1 (water, paint/ink) I use a black writing ink and it works great.

gets in the grooves and stays in the grooves
Mordoria

Postby subversive » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:27 pm

Mix in some liquid matte medium to dull down the gloss, or experiment with just matte medium instead of FFW.
subversive

Postby genghis ken » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:55 am

There is a product by Army Painter called Quickshade Dip. Is this the same idea. Anyone try this or hear of it's use? The magazine ad says it's an "almost magical formula". After reading that I'm sooooo close to trying this.
genghis ken

Postby subversive » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:50 pm

I've seen it used with very good results. Haven't tried it myself yet.
subversive

Postby VectorAWX3 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:59 pm

Andy Small needs to get off his ass and do a big dip article for the website or as a sticky on the boards. The dude's a master of the technique.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby WickerNipple » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:02 pm

Except I don't dip? and never have?
WickerNipple

Next

Return to Modeling and Painting