Future Floor Wax Dip...

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Re: Future Floor Wax Dip...

Postby VectorAWX3 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:36 pm

That wash thing. People just call it "dip". I don't think anyone actually "dips".

Oh, maybe we didn't tell that to people asking... it's called "dipping", but you don't dip, you brush.

There, carry on.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby WickerNipple » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:51 pm

I'm a little confused, because I don't really know what you mean.

If you mean the final wash that I recommended for your gnobs, that's an easy enough thing to describe though I would still never call it "dip", and it's only slightly similar to results you get from actually dipping.

I recommended it for your gnobs because it would be a time saving method for getting them to cohere and pop (which they did nicely - but not as nicely as they would if you dullcoted them and selectively went back with painted on gloss for the skin and metals) - but it's just one small part of how I personally paint.
WickerNipple

Postby VectorAWX3 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:08 pm

I thought your Araby army was done using multiple washes/glazes/all that. If that's a whole different method, I'd still like you to do a one-mini step by step demo in the forum, as the results were fantastical (got my player's choice vote, easily).
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby WickerNipple » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:58 pm

VectorAWX3 wrote:I thought your Araby army was done using multiple washes/glazes/all that.

It is - it's just not going to appeal to the people looking to dip stuff.

I'll talk you through it if you want, but I'm not really interested in doing an article with step by step pictures and all that jazz.
WickerNipple

Postby deFl0 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:30 pm

I'm dipping a guard army this weekend. I'll take pictures and post it up.

Still not sure what to do with the tanks... but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Pete
deFl0

Postby genghis ken » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:55 pm

After reading that a lot of painters prefer Minwax to the more expensive Quick Shade I dipped a model or two into a natural and golden oak stain I have in the garage. Im not crazy with the results on the white parts of the model. A few sections grabbed up stain and now look brown. Some of the other sections like the flesh and red and blues look better. Im not crazy about the look. The Quick Shade costs upwards of $30 a can I found out. Im going to try the brush on method and avoid the white parts next time. I look forward to seeing how Pete makes out.
genghis ken

Postby Amazonwarlord » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:12 am

People just call it "dip". I don't think anyone actually "dips".

Nope, people actually do dip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw1b56j_gSI&feature=player_embedded
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby Amazonwarlord » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:55 am

I was trying to remember where I saw a tutorial on creating the "magic wash" with Future.

Here it is: http://www.paintingclinic.com/clinic/guestarticles/magicwash.htm
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby subversive » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:01 pm

Here's a thread on some stuff a dude out here has done with the Army Painter stuff:
http://www.wcp-vancouver.com/phpBB3/vie ... f=1&t=7237
subversive

Postby deFl0 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:35 pm

So I've tried it out a couple times. My dip method involves nails and a power drill.

Basically you glue minis on the head of a nail. Put the pointy part of the nail into the drill. Dip and spin.

The trick is you assembly line the nails onto the models and spin away.

I find painting on the dip, I always put too much on... Also a good tip is you have a cosmetic sponge ready. Good for removing early pooling.

Also Ken, said it well. Certain colors just work much better with dipp. Browns, gold and red work great. I'm less fond of greys and blues or birghter colors but there is now Black Tudor and Classic black which probably looks better with those colors.
deFl0

PreviousNext

Return to Modeling and Painting