Future Floor Wax Dip...

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Re: Future Floor Wax Dip...

Postby Anger Worm » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:06 pm

Glue minis to nails = fail.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby WickerNipple » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:14 pm

I agree. Just attach an alligator clip to a rod and be done with it.
WickerNipple

Postby deFl0 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:39 pm

I think alligator clips and binder clips might work for plastic minis, but for metal steel legion guys...

Well let's just say I launched one off my 17 floor balcony by accident... IT's more work, but with zip kick the extra step goes faster.
deFl0

Postby WickerNipple » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:54 pm

deFl0 wrote:I launched one off my 17 floor balcony by accident..

:lol:
WickerNipple

Postby Amazonwarlord » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:47 pm

:lol:
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby deFl0 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:06 pm

BTW the glue mini's to nails method is really fast and awesome!

Step 1: lie down like 6 minis
Step 2: put nails in foam and a gob of glue on the head of each nail
Step 3: spray all the mini with zip kicker in one fell swoop
step 4: put mini on nail head
Step 5: put nail in drill chuck
step 6: mini in shaken up minwax polyshade black tudor satin
step 7: put mini in spin box and drill off excess stain
step 8: pull nail out of drill and stick back into foam to dry
Step 9: spray with testors dry coat the next day

Honestly, IT sounds like a bunch of step, but once set up I banged out 12 harlequins and 6 IG in less than 3 minutes and they looked great.
deFl0

Postby Sinjin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:10 pm

my only concern would be the nail not being dead center of the base, so when you spin it in the drill there would be enough force to spin the mini off the base.

Did you not find this to be a problem? And how difficult was it to remove the nail afterwards?
I am we todd did. I am sofa king we todd did.

-"Superman owns a pair of Chuck Norris pajamas. "
Sinjin

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:21 pm

For clarification: Pete is using cut nails, a square-sided nail shaft with a slightly crowned head. I watched him run through one of his setups, it looked like he was having no real trouble getting things centered enough for the job. As to the removal, since superglue is adherant rather than invasive, and as Pete is using 3" nails, I doubt there is any trouble.
Emperors Reckoning

Postby deFl0 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:10 pm

The dead center thing doesn't matter. Actually the bases are slotted so all of them are off center.

You just need to be careful not spin it ridiculously fast. Actually the only one the fell off was because I let off the speed to quick. You you are careful with the trigger, you won;t have a problem.

As for takin git off the nail. Absolutely no issue. They snag right off and the glue tends to stay on the base, making the nails reusable.

The other amazing thing I figured out, was how to minwax a tank. (No you don;t spin it).

I basically just painted on the min wax then went over the tank with a piece of foam from a blister. The recessess and rivets kept the stain perfect and the higher areas became stain free. I tried in on a piece that dried completely vertically to see if it would drip over time, and it didn't. I'm really happy with the look actually. Doing it to 25 tanks and 3 valks will be an enormous time saver and you don't have have to worry about strange patterns from surface tension like you deal with with water based inks.

Pete
deFl0

Postby deFl0 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:16 pm

The other thing worth nothing was the minwax ink colors.

I tried several test models with different colors and inks.

The stand out best was vallejo grey with black tudor. I honestly though the brown or reds with the antique walnut would be the obvius winners but I was way off.

The other thing I had amazing success with was with so Sisters of battle, I painted them gold with red cloth and use Bombay mahogany. The reddish ink on the gold looks just like the old chestnut ink! Which you can obviously understand the appeal as that color is the base of much of my chaos army, and how I planned to do my Sisters.

I found the antique walnut is nice and subtle. It looks great on browns and reds. I think people nailed the coloring for the standard dipped nids. I've also scene amazing results on things like kroot.

Anyway, I'll put together a tutorial when I done.
deFl0

PreviousNext

Return to Modeling and Painting