Using Stained Galss Frit in Basing

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Using Stained Galss Frit in Basing

Postby deFl0 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:48 pm

I'll give you my Necron Idea that I've been dying to do, but I coubt I'll ever get around to do Necrons...

To make stained glass you can buy jars of colored glass. It comes as little tiny crystal that you melt down into stained glass.

Anyway, it would make the most rocking crystal basis ever for necrons! (pun intended)

I think it's called confetti chips or frit.

http://www.anythinginstainedglass.com/f ... fetti.html
deFl0

Re: Using Stained Galss Frit in Basing

Postby deFl0 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:49 pm

From Anyd

Have you made any yet? I wanna see em. Starting Skaven right now -- easy access to translucent green glassy crystally fun stuff has me fully engorged.

How does this stuff work?
deFl0

Postby deFl0 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:49 pm

Just think of it like little glass rocks. They look like crystals.

So you can just use it like sand. Apply over white glue.

Also, I just looked it up. I think you want to use frit not confetti chips. I used them on a commission work in college and they looked great. I don;t think I have any around but I'm ordering some blue for my Eldar so I show it to you when it comes in.
deFl0

Postby deFl0 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:50 pm

From Andy

I just did some research.

Yeah, could look cool as crystal rocks.

But it also looks like it's made to melt into glass pools with a soldering iron. Green glass pools on my skaven bases - possibly even splattered on model feet is going to look fucking awesome. I love you Pete!
deFl0

Postby deFl0 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:54 pm

Andy,

For Pools, you could use transparent resin with coloring.

I'm using clear with blue coloring to make my ice bases for my Eldar.

http://www.jgreer.com/casting-resin.htm

That might be a better fit than the melting glass with a soldering iron, but maybe not.
deFl0

Postby Alamoth » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:01 pm

I see, you're making the entire base to look like it's made of Ice. That's pretty effing awesome.

I love the idea for Necrons, just not my Necrons since they're themed to be from a more Medieval time period. Still, as mentioned in my Necron conversion thread, I am going to work out adding Stained Glass to the Monoliths.

Thanks Pete!
Death to the False Emperor
Alamoth

Postby WickerNipple » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:20 pm

I know all about the resin options. I was just thinking maybe this could be a unique alternative. If it works like how I'm fantasizing that it does it'll be spiffy.

Also, I could have just split the discussion with mod tools if you'd asked. ;)
WickerNipple

Postby deFl0 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:36 pm

Alamoth, for stained glass, people usually clear plastic and then a thin sharpie to make the black design edges. Then colored sharpies to color it in.

I've seen that technique done with great result.

Also on a similar thread to transparent blue glass bases, you could do crystal in a similar way with green coloring in resin then use the frit as little chips down at the bases of the longer crystals.

Man that makes me want to do necrons! It would be easy to do with a latex mold once you had a bunch of proto types done up.

Anyway, Andy I'm interested to see what you come up with! Let know if you want tp put in an order for Frit. We could order and split the shipping with you if you want.
deFl0

Postby WickerNipple » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:48 pm

Well the crystals will be useful to me as warpstone bits regardless of whether it works like how I'm dreaming when melted. So I can't really lose out either way.
WickerNipple

Return to Modeling and Painting