The Army Painter Sprays...

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

The Army Painter Sprays...

Postby Pariah » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:48 am

So I picked up a can of this stuff when I was at the strat last because it was a bleached bone spray and I figured I could use it for some cool color effects on a large scale. When I first used it, it came out chalky and very rough. I was pretty disappointed. I was using it on one of those really dry days we had, so this wasn't humidity doing this. So I shook the can for literally about four straight minutes and sprayed again. It was a little smoother, but still really chalky and rough. I don't know what experiences others are having with this brand of sprays, but I do not recommend the stuff and you should probably tell the strat to stop carrying it if it's this bad.

Not sure why I don't just break down and get an airbrush...
Pariah

Re: The Army Painter Sprays...

Postby Amazonwarlord » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:56 pm

I recently read that one of the major reasons for paint to come out chalky is due to holding the can too far away for that particular paint formulation. So as you try a new paint you'll have to experiment, with the can's instructions as a starting point, on sprues or something to get the right closeness. I recently tried this and found it to be quite beneficial. All that time I thought it was humidity, which may be a factor, but perhaps the biggest factor is distance.
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby deFl0 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:32 pm

I torched 15 SOBs with army painter sprays too...

Honestly the GW stuff, while retardedly expensive is pretty fricken good...
deFl0

Postby Ancow » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:16 pm

you mean that armory stuff? Yeah fuck that stuff in the ear.
Ancow

Postby Garrett » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:19 pm

I've used the stuff on my British army for flames of war, it seemed a little bit chalky but it did a decent job of things...and also saved me a crap ton of time.
Garrett

Postby Pariah » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:23 pm

Distance does matter, and the problem with holding it closer is then you get buildup. With this stuff, I'm sure it's the quality of the paint. I tried holding the can at different distances and it didn't help.
Pariah

Postby Amazonwarlord » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:41 pm

try the cheapo Krylon primer. I did after some people here talked about it. It's really good and eons cheaper than either the army painter or the GW stuff.
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby Pariah » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:19 pm

The problem with Krylon and other general use spray paints is that they tend to be super glossy enamels. You can go to art supply stores and find matte sprays in different colors, but you really have to make sure they're matte. Glossy enamels on minis tend to be so shiny, they kill the detail on the models.

I've found Testors flat sprays to be really nice, but they're not cheap and they come in small cans.

The real reason I went with this can of Army Painter stuff was that I wanted bleached bone, which used to come in a GW spray and that army painter seemed to try and replicate. I should really just get an airbrush...
Pariah

Postby WickerNipple » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:57 pm

Glossy is irrelevant. Just hit the model with dullcote and it's fixed.

Some sprays go on far too heavily - that can certainly destroy detail. But it isn't the glossy nature of the stuff doing it.
WickerNipple

Postby Amazonwarlord » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:37 pm

Look at my Ashlynn. She is sprayed in Krylon black primer. She is not shiny.
Amazonwarlord

Next

Return to Modeling and Painting