Skaven Blog (Slaves done!)

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Skaven Blog (Slaves done!)

Postby Arash » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:34 pm

Well, with the onset of finals I decided that my desk could no longer be a mish mosh of skaven bits and pieces. Thus, I made a big push this week to assemble (and worst of all, clean) my entire skaven army.

With everything being assembled a little bit ahead of schedule (like a day), I decided that I should not waste time dilly dallying (otherwise known as writing a philosophy paper) and actually get to priming the shit out of this army. Given that this is such a huge project, I thought it might be fun to try and motivate myself via forcing you guys to see the progress.

Not being able to find my white primer, nor being able to find jarrett's white primer, I decided to give the armory grey primer a shot. It looked good on Jarrett's ogres, and I also really did not feel like buying white primer. I must say, I really liked the armory stuff, very good coverage and it dried super quickly. Totalling about 2500 points (probably a little more, but not by much), my grey horde-

Pictured- 100 slaves, 100 clan rats, 100ish giant rats (with packmaster included), 14 gutter runners, 7 censer bearers, 6 jezzails, warp lightning cannon, and the doom wheel sprue (which I am actually painting on sprue, due to the actual model assembled looks like it would be a bitch and a half to paint). A prize to anyone who can actually identify what is what.

Included for your viewing pleasure is a decorative candle that is on our balcony.
Last edited by Arash on Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.
واعظان کاین جلوه محراب و منبر میکنند چون بخلوت میروند، آن کار دیگر میکنند

حافظ
Arash

Re: Skaven Blog

Postby VectorAWX3 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:52 pm

Go go skaven blog.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby WickerNipple » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:14 pm

Not big enough.
WickerNipple

Postby Arash » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:46 pm

all things depending, I might want to add in a third gutter runner unit, and then on top of that probably get a storm vermin unit and a myriad of different weapons teams. But for now, this is everything that I want for the immediate future.

حافظ
Arash

Postby allanmcnab » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:20 pm

does this mean that you are not borrowing my rats for the Brawl? :lol:
"I like Weakland because he cries when I fuck him" Pete, at the conflict.
allanmcnab

Postby WickerNipple » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:45 pm

You should lend me your rats for the brawl. I'll totally come if you do. :lol:
WickerNipple

Postby Arash » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:57 pm

WickerNipple wrote:You should lend me your rats for the brawl. I'll totally come if you do. :lol:

You go to hell.

حافظ
Arash

Postby ampao » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:08 am

nice. subscribing to updates
ampao

Postby allanmcnab » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:57 pm

WickerNipple wrote:You should lend me your rats for the brawl. I'll totally come if you do. :lol:

how bout some nice chaos dwarfs, or demons, everybody loves demons.
"I like Weakland because he cries when I fuck him" Pete, at the conflict.
allanmcnab

Postby Arash » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:11 am

So,

I didn't think I would get much painting done this week, because I have a paper due on thursday. However, I found out today, when I went home, that due to the Icelandic volcano (E-whatever the fuck) the essay had been delayed to next tuesday. This meant that instead of having to read 120 pages, I now only had to read 40. For expository purposes, my professor had been stuck in France for about a week and a half, and he felt bad, or something, and decided to delay the essay. Anyway, I arbitrarily decided to reward my new found freedom by doing a bit of work on the skaven.

What to paint first was by no means a hard choice for me. I am borrowing Allan's skaven for Boston Brawl. I really want to play with the skaven, and I know that Allan is a nice enough guy to let me borrow them. Unfortunately for me, Allan is also stuck in the heady days of pre-7th warhammer. Thus, his skaven have no giant rats (which are my favorite unit). Due to Allan's natural lack of decency I have been forced to provide my own giant rats. It's a good thing however because it at least forces me to paint shit.

Not one to do strictly what is necessary, I decided that I would just paint the flesh on every giant rat I had. Because I am an idiot. Anyway, an album and an episode of heelanhammer later, here we are-

And now for a more closer picture-

I know, very exciting.

To explain a couple of things, I decided very early on that I would dip the skaven, then go back and highlight them. I have done this before, and I actually don't mind the look. I also want to actually finish them in the near future. Thus, the skin is technically "done," for now, but after the dip I will go back and do a bit of a higher highlight, in order to make it prettier.

Now, I have done some research (Reconnaissance? Browsing? wasting time?) by looking at different skaven blogs. One of the things that I have noticed, is that the giant rats always look a bit blase. And I think this is in large part due to the fact that many people simply paint their fur the same color, for the entire unit. Given how much of the unit is fur, I think that this becomes very monotonous and boring looking. Thus, I was thinking that I would do different fur colors for the giant rats, both to keep my mental sanity, and because I think it would look more varied and cool. Thoughts on this? I would still keep a standard fur color for all of the clan rats and slaves and other units though, it would just be the giant rats that would have different colored fur.

With that bit of business done all I have to do now is read Arabic erotic literature (for class, I swear) and then it's bedtime.
Last edited by Arash on Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

حافظ
Arash

Next

Return to Modeling and Painting