Skaven Blog (Slaves done!)

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Re: Skaven Blog (4/28)

Postby Amazonwarlord » Mon May 03, 2010 3:21 pm

nice Arash. Looking forward to the dip pics. I'm thinking of doing a dip on my units of troopers.

Thanks for the close-ups. It helps !
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby Arash » Wed May 05, 2010 12:54 am

So- something went a bit awry with the order and the dip is probably going to arrive on Friday or Saturday ( :( ) This means that I am going to have to put the pedal to the medal a bit next week to get these dudes table top ready for the brawl. That's fine though since I won't have as much school stuffs going on.

Not much has been done on the army because I am actually pretty busy until thursday (which will mean that I am going to get sick on Friday since that is what happens every time finals finish).

Paolo you asked what dip I am using. I figured that I would give the army painter stuff a shot and got the quickshade dark tone. Hopefully this will have good results.

I have tried minwax or whatever it is called, and while it is not bad I think that it isn't the best thing out there. I wanted to try army painter because I was really curious as to what difference it would have. I am guessing that it won't have much difference, but might as well try.
Last edited by Arash on Wed May 05, 2010 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
واعظان کاین جلوه محراب و منبر میکنند چون بخلوت میروند، آن کار دیگر میکنند

حافظ
Arash

Postby ampao » Wed May 05, 2010 12:57 am

Hey! More shots! I mean tequilas! That usually helps! :D
ampao

Postby Arash » Sat May 08, 2010 7:05 pm

This blog has been a bit stagnant due to me being overwhelmed by finals. Also, the fucking dip I ordered ages ago has yet to come (seriously, is it that hard to ship something over from Long Island? Does it need to take more than a week?). If it isn't here by monday it will a) be ridiculous and b) I am going to just get a minwax can from the hardware store near me.

I've used minwax before, and its fine but I wanted to do something a bit more "special."

Anyway, after finals I was a bit burnt out on life, so I decided that I wanted to paint something a bit more fun, rather than the monotony that would be slaves. So, I painted this Drow Rogue that I will be using in a DnD campaign next week. I wanted him to have some more "human" colors on him, hence the blues etc. Also, this is yet another new incarnation of NMM gold that I tried, and I actually kind of like it. I am not super pleased with him, but I think he will do for the campaign, the few new things I tried out look kind of cool. It also gave me a cool idea for White Lions which I may or may not implement.

He doesn't have a name yet, but I have affectionately decided to call him "gold cloak."

حافظ
Arash

Re: Skaven Blog (yay update!)

Postby Arash » Tue May 11, 2010 9:34 am

The Dip finally came!

Last night I dipped my skaven, at midnight which by the way is not a good idea. They are currently outside drying since it is recommended that they take around 12 or so hours till they are totally dried.

I am so so about the dip. I think that it is a tad too dark, but I can definitely work around it. I think that the fur color will look pretty cool with the sharp contrast, and I also feel like any less strength would not have made the red look as good. I am not sure I will have time to highlight these for the Boston Brawl, I am going to base them first so that they are playable. But highlighting them will be easy I think.

Here are two of the master moulders with great weapons so that you can see what happened.

The dip itself I am very displeased about. First of all it cost $30. I thought that this was way too much, but I figured that it would be ok if it lasted for the entire army. I mean, a can of polyshade is huge and costs under $10, I simply expected this to actually be a a regular like paint can.

It is not.

One can is 75% done after just my giant rats. And the rats are super tiny, they should not take this much dip. Maybe an elf army would be small enough to be fully dipped in this method. But for $30 I felt as if I had been taken on a ride.

Comparison pic-

I am going to just get minwax poly shade I think that will end up looking very similar and one can will definitely be enough for one army, and then some.

In other news, I had been working on my slaves last week. Chipping away at them when I had time, one unit here and one unit there. On Sunday though I made a big effort to get the red and the grey color on them all. I didn't post because of unexpected circumstances that came up yesterday and prevented me from really being on the internet. I figured I would just make one big update.

Here they are-

حافظ
Arash

Re: Skaven Blog (Big Update 5/11)

Postby WickerNipple » Tue May 11, 2010 9:41 am

Those look good! Better than any minwax stuff I've seen.

Price certainly sounds high, but I dunno if I'd try to mix the two in the same army.

Were you actually physically dipping them, or painting it on?
WickerNipple

Postby Arash » Tue May 11, 2010 9:45 am

I figure a dark shade will be good enough.

I'm just not all that willing to pay $90 to dip an army when I can pay like $10.

Also, luckily these are the giant rats, so the difference that will surely occur will not be as pronounced since they are a) smaller, b) feature less heavily into the army, and c) there can look a bit different without looking too out of place.

حافظ
Arash

Postby njpc » Tue May 11, 2010 10:05 am

What method do you utilize for the minwax? I've read on people doing the physically dipping the model in the can, shake it off. I've also read about some people cutting it with water to allow more seeping in the recesses. Also painting on is an option?

My skaven army was daunting to finish, and i'd really like to add some night runners, i figured they'd be a good unit to dip as could add to the stealth effect. It might also darken my albino scheme a bit, and make them look more realistic.

Good work so far, i'm impressed you've but through a good chunk of your work in a short span.
njpc

Postby ampao » Tue May 11, 2010 10:34 am

It looks good. What dip are you using? Straight dipping or brushing on?
ampao

Postby slann » Tue May 11, 2010 11:34 am

First I will agree with andy and say that dip looks better than what comes up with minwax , what method are you dipping ? If you use the drill method you can pour the stuff into a larger container and save most of the excess and make it last longer . What I like about the stuff your using is it looks a lot less glossy than minwax .
Would you rather pew pew pew pew or chic chic BLAM !!! chic chic BLAM !!!!
slann

PreviousNext

Return to Modeling and Painting