Skaven Blog (Slaves done!)

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Re: Skaven Blog (Big Update 5/11)

Postby Guy In Suit » Tue May 11, 2010 12:48 pm

Dipping is for chumps. Real men take 6 years to paint their horde armies.

:cry:
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby Daggermouth » Tue May 11, 2010 2:26 pm

I'm using minwax with a lot of success. The models come out shiny, but a good coat of matt varnish and they look fine. I am finding that the cloth color (grey) doesn't take well to just the minwax, so I'm using a coat of devlan mud first, then dipping (using a drill to spin off the excess). They're looking great with that method.

Nice work on the blog, keep the pictures coming!
Ian
Daggermouth

Postby Arash » Tue May 11, 2010 9:23 pm

I agree that it looks less glossy, but not by much. And it will hardly be any difference at all after a layer of dullcote.

Now that I am not in a hurry I will do a small experiment with minwax just to see what the difference is. I did straight dip, and I just shook it off.

I might try the drill method, but alas I currently do not own a drill, nor do I think I really have the patience for it.

The stuff I used was Army Painter Dark Shade.
واعظان کاین جلوه محراب و منبر میکنند چون بخلوت میروند، آن کار دیگر میکنند

حافظ
Arash

Postby Arash » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:23 pm

So I know I haven't really been updating this, it was because I was in California (and because graduation, shit like that). I have however been working on the army.

In fact, I just dipped all of the slaves today

I did not use Army Painter however. I gambled a bit and bought a can of Minwax (minshade? polysomething?) The stuff they sell in hardware stores.

I got the satin finish Tudor dark (whichever one the darkest color is). I got satin because that is all that they had left.

Now first of all, you can get this shit for like $7 if you look around hard enough. I got a bit jipped due to paying manhattan prices for it. Secondly, the can is easily twice the size of the army painter can. I dipped all 100 of my slaves and I would say that I used less than 20% of the can.

Thirdly, and most importantly, you tell me the difference between the two. The one with sand on the base is the Army painter one.

Exactly, there is no discernible difference outside of the exorbitant cost of Army Painter. So fuck Army painter, this is what I am going to be using from now on.

Other than that, I kept myself busy in CA by finishing off Ronen's comission.

It was a bit of a challenge to paint in a style similar to Larry but I think I did it well, and I am happy that it is over.

Lastly, I am going to be taking a small break from Skaven to paint something. . .bigger
واعظان کاین جلوه محراب و منبر میکنند چون بخلوت میروند، آن کار دیگر میکنند

حافظ
Arash

Re: Skaven Blog (Slaves done!)

Postby elrodogg » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:29 pm

Yay! go go hempire!
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby ampao » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:24 pm

Cant tell the difference between army painter dip and the Tudor Dark looks about the same. Im not sure if it has to do with the dip, but there seems to be dots in the Tudor shade.... But even if that was a problem from the dip, it still wouldnt justify the cost of army painter.

And, whats that last picture?
ampao

Postby Guy In Suit » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:41 pm

I hope it is the most over the top reaver bow noble on eagle ever :lol:
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby Larro » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:03 am

I like the Empire guys Arash, you did a solid job.

As for the Skaven, I think it's coming along very nicely. When you highlight them, they're going to really look ace. Keep it up, it's a lot of models but you'll get there - just in time to expand the army to 3000 to play 8th Edition RAWR-FEST!!! :P

- Larry
"Just being born means you've lost to Larro. Or haven't you gotten the memo yet?" - Nidal

"Larry was right. I know he never gets tired of hearing that." - Canterman
Larro

Postby Amazonwarlord » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:24 pm

I do like the way the Army Painter one gathers pigment on the flats. And also the way it doesn't get little bubbles. But I don't think it's worth the price especially for a large army.
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby slann » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:01 am

I agree with above statement .
Would you rather pew pew pew pew or chic chic BLAM !!! chic chic BLAM !!!!
slann

PreviousNext

Return to Modeling and Painting