Dipping with Min Wax

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Dipping with Min Wax

Postby deFl0 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:05 pm

So I cammo'd, converted, scratch built manticores, magnetized, assembled and dipped 24 vehicles and 250 guardsmen in roughly 8 days. And when I say days I mean 24 hour periods.

Dipping Method:

- Spray paint prime your model
- Air brush base color of entire army at once
- Paint details
- Stick 4" nail into styrofoam
- lie about 10 models on there side and line them up with the bottom of the based facing you.
- Put a dot of glue on the top of 10 nail heads
- zip kick the bottom of the model's bases
- place the models on top of nail head, one at a time
- Pull nail out of styrofoam and place in drill line a drill bit.
- Make sure you have shaked the crap out of the dip.
- Dip model in dip (I usually tried to not pour dip into the bottom of the base.)
- Drip some dip off.
- Spin model with drill in a box that you cut a hole in the top of.
- Snap Model off Nail and place on plastic / aluminum foil / wax paper etc.
- You have some time where the dip is really viscous. So keep an eye on polling and dip excess. And remove with a sponge.
- Let dry over night.
- Testor's Dull Coat entire army at once.

I set up and dipped 250 guardsmen in about 2.5 hours. That's like 40 seconds a models, and set up was a good chunk of the time. Once you get jamming, it's amazing how fast it goes.

Thoughts:

It's messy. Use rubber gloves. Use a plastic tarp (I used a $2 painting tarp). The box you spin off excess into will leak through the bottom. Paint thinner cleans up spillage ok.

Tips:

Bigger models, like tanks (I dipped my vendettas). As opposed to dipping I used cheap sponge brushes to apply the dip, then I used the foam rectangles that come in blisters to wipe off excess off of higher areas. This gives you a ton of control. This is also a super helpful tip for the minis. Wiping off excess is key.

I used winmax tudor satin dip. It world really well on red, green, brown and gray.

I've also used antique walnut with is more a golden brown, and good for lighter earth tones. And I've used bombay mahogany which is almost identical to the old chestnut dip.

I have pictures, I just need to sit down and load a bunch of them. I personally think my guard looks great. I think I could do a final highlight step, but after cranking out roughly 8000 points of guardmen in a month I needed a bit of a break!
deFl0

Re: Dipping with Min Wax

Postby Ancow » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:19 pm

pics or it didnt happen
Ancow

Postby deFl0 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:54 pm

I did actually take a bunch of pics and can take pics of the final result. Need to do the old pull it out of the camera trick though...
deFl0

Postby Anger Worm » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:19 pm

Put up pictures and you'd actually have a dipping guide worthy of a sticky.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Return to Modeling and Painting