United Space Marine Corps - Painting Blog - Entry 5 (To1G)

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Re: United Space Marine Corps - Painting Blog - Entry 1 (To4

Postby ampao » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:04 pm

Looks really good. Liking the hats. And I guess basing is the way to go for contrasts.

How about some bright yellow / burnt grass?
ampao

Postby Anger Worm » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:21 pm

I was thinking something along those lines. Mixed patches of the living, drab grass, and others of both darker green and deadened yellow-beige. I've also got more bush-like foliage which should add some dimension to it. Should have another update soon!
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby jer732 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:53 pm

Everyone loves bush!
jer732

Postby ZiggyQubert » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:18 pm

if you want use water transfers for the marine symbols I have soem print your own transfer sheets (I used this method for the sharks) might be able to give you a better / more detailed symbol...
:spacesharks: :Hamelin: :Lilith: Brookie
ZiggyQubert
Site Admin

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:37 pm

These are great, Jarrett. Good going! You are the current reigning To4G champ!
Emperors Reckoning

Postby The Gunslinger » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:06 pm

Yeah, contrast on the basing is a definite, but I wonder if putting that copper/gold coloring (with fine slashes of mithral silver) on the rim of the shoulder pads would balance the contrast throughout the model a little better. I like the grittiness of the color scheme for sure, but in the toy soldier dept, it needs some more pop to wow people & still stay true to your theme.

I like the work you put into the shoulder pad emblems, but they look too much like tattoos on metal. I didn't realize what it was until someone said to make it silver & copper. You'll get man-crushes if you go with either the actual color scheme of the USMC symbol, or natural colors: blue/greens of Earth & a copper'ish anchor, rope color, ... but with highlighting, & a few, final, tiny-tiny, white highlights. You'll torture yourself, but people will look closer at that and really be impressed.

I started using a .005 artist pen and having fun with it. Slowing your breathing down and "anchoring" your hands to each other is key to "micro-writing". I'll show you the writing I did on my wraithlord spear tassles. If you can do that in color for your shoulder pads: awesomesauce. I'll put some pics up tonight in another thread. I doubt I'll have good focus though.
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Postby Anger Worm » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:00 pm

FYI, this is the actual EGA worn on green. Black and blob-like are actually the real colors: Image
That shiny stuff is for ceremonial gear, which I'm generally avoiding. The brassy metallics I incorporated because they harken to the gear of the 70's and earlier - buttons, zippers and the like - that would have their black covering worn off to the brass beneath.

You'll torture yourself, but people will look closer at that and really be impressed.

No it doesn't pop, but I'm not going for that. You're also talking about layering, which is moving away from the speed aspect entirely. I wanted something I could paint fast. This isn't supposed to be a masterpiece. I'll admit I'm a bit beholden to true military colors to the detriment of catching eyes. Military schemes are both monotone and dull, but that's the look I'm after.

I have USMC written on the shoulder pads with bannerols, not visible in the other photos, I did using an artists pen.

Appreciate all the input folks.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby WickerNipple » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:42 pm

I think it might be how dark my monitor is at work, but I really like them here now way better than I did 12 hours ago.

I still think you need something more on the basing, but otherwise I really think they work as is - with possibly a touch of silver on the brass.
WickerNipple

Postby WeeDawgNYC » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:24 am

Let me tell you, these guys look better in person. I do have to agree with the majority on needing more color somewhere to balance it out, like the gun holsters for instance... why are there the same color as the armour, adding brown to it will add contrast without taking the grit away from the overall model.

I really like the copper & wouldnt add silver to anything to be honest, I do think that orange would really add the base, not quite the "autumn" style but that spongy looking foliage type. Consider adding some color to the edges of the shoulder pade to seperate them from the body. might try just plain black??

& finally I believe if you change the eye color to yellow, orange, green or red it would really make the model standout on the table top level more.
WeeDawgNYC

Postby Amazonwarlord » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:28 am

Really cool idea Jarrett. I like it. I have faith in you ability to come up with some cool basing to bring the "pop" factor.
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

PreviousNext

Return to Modeling and Painting