Lizardmen Army Thing!

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Lizardmen Army Thing!

Postby jer732 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:50 pm

This is the beginning of my Lizardmen Army Blog type thing! I have been procrastinating for a long time on this army, but I have felt pretty motivated the last few weeks. I figure I might as well post WIP pics to help keep me motivated. It also better than posting progress pics for projects you have already completed, which seems to annoy some people (Andy)! Feed back is always welcome (and by always I mean sometimes).

So far I have cleaned about 60 something odd skinks, 30 something saurus warriors, 2 stegadons, and 6 kroxigor. I have not done anything with the saurus and skinks yet, but I have done some conversion work on the Krox (I started this over 2 years ago and haven't touched it since) and just this past weekend I did some work on one steg.

All I have pictures for at the moment are of the steg:

I have altered the legs and the head to give the appearance of rearing as if frightened. I tired to do it in a way that would require the least cutting, so it isn't necessarily as "natural" looking as I would like, but I think the end result will still be pretty good.

Here are some pictures slightly further along where I have started filling in gaps with green stuff preparing to do some sculpting. There is still some gap filling to go, but that shit is boring so it's taking a while to finish.

I also started working on the crew, the members of which will be in various states of surprise due to the stegaons actions. This required some slight rearranging of limbs. It probably won't make much sense from the pictures, but one day in 5 years when I have it completed you will understand.

I also plan on magnetizing the various components of the steg for the added versatility.

More to come some day in the future. Then I will explain more my army concept.
jer732

Re: Lizardmen Army Thing!

Postby Guy In Suit » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:23 pm

I remember the humble beginnings of this in 2010.

Fuck we are getting old fast.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby WickerNipple » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:24 am

Huh? If you meant me being annoyed i've no idea what you mean. This looks quite cool so far.
WickerNipple

Postby Anger Worm » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:24 am

Cool, I think you'll enjoy lizardmen. You'll need to expand your numbers in a few places, but you've got a good start. Try to underestimate the stegadons and you won't be disappointed. ;)
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby jer732 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:21 pm

Andy- You made a comment in my treeman/treekin thread about it being silly to post WIP pics when what I was working on was actually finished. I am just trying to be better!

Jarrett- Yeah I obviously need to buy some more models. I went back recently to just check the actual number and I have 64 sarus cleaned and 72 skinks. I guess I was off by a bit.
jer732

Postby jer732 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:58 pm

So I have some new updates, but first I am going to talk about my list and a couple ideas I have for my display board.

Total Roster Cost: 2397

Slann Mage-Priest
1 Slann Mage-Priest (Battle Standard Bearer)
1 Dispel Scroll
1 Divine Plaque of Protection,
1 The Becalming Cogitation
1 The Focused Rumination
1 The Focus of Mystery

Saurus Scar-Veteran
1 Saurus Scar-Veteran
1 Burning Blade of Chotec
1 Charmed Shield
1 Dawnstone

Skink Chief
1 Skink Chief
1 Ancient Stegadon
1 Stegadon War-Spear

Saurus Warriors
26 Saurus Warriors, Musician, Standard Bearer

Saurus Warriors
21 Saurus Warriors, Musician, Standard Bearer

Skink Skirmishers
10 Skink Skirmishers

Skink Skirmishers
10 Skink Skirmishers

Chameleon Skinks
6 Chameleon Skinks

Chameleon Skinks
6 Chameleon Skinks

Kroxigor
6 Kroxigor

Stegadon
1 Stegadon

I don't know how set I am on this list, but it probably won't change much besides character setups. I realize it is not a great list (and perhaps not even good), but it's what I want to model and paint and that's more important for me. At the same time, I am not making the mistake I made with my Wood Elves and only paint up 2400 points. I will be painting up a bunch of extra stuff while I still have the momentum and inspiration. With any luck I can get this done and use it in one tournament before a new lizard book comes out and takes away my stegadon warpear!

For my display board I am planning on doing a temple scene with a swamp water feature. I will have my (scratch-built) Slann sitting at the top, making a sacrifice to the Old Ones, with a unit of warriors marching down the temple stairs. The water feature will have spaces in it for chameleons, the Krox will be working to repair the temple from the destructive encroaching jungle. It certainly is going to stretch my modeling and painting skills, so we will see how it turns out.

Now here are some updated pics of my first steg:

Image <----My croch

I think it is coming along well considering the extent of my scuplting knowledge comes from an article I read on the interwebz.

SO all I have left to do for this guy (besides paint!) is to configure the howda and crew. After this I will get back to work on my krox, which, as Andrew hinted at, have been hibernating since 2010!
jer732

Postby Anger Worm » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:27 am

Awesome. That list should be a fun mishmosh. I hope the rare slot one is an Ancient, because the regular ones are truly worthless between s5 impact/stomps and a worse save. I'd consider a third stegadon/engine for a true monster mash, which you never really see. Krox w/o skinks are pretty vulnerable for the price. Either way, this all looks and sounds quite cool!
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby jer732 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:24 pm

OK! Back at it again! Had last week off for a nice stay-cation, which turned into Warhammer Hobby Week. I only have time to post a few pics, but I will post more tomorrow.

This is a pic of my display board in a very early stage. The plan is to integrate the stairs into the movement tray for one unit of saurus. Here I am just trying to get an idea for the layout.

Here are some cages that I built (with real working hinges!) These will end up being part of some of the scenic unit fillers that I am making for the saurus units. What captives will they hold? Well that will just have to be a surprise!

This is one of the new terradons I am working on. I am trying to set-up a pin system so as to easily change between the terradon and ripperdactyl parts, just in case. The unfortunate part of this process is that it leaves significant gaps between the parts, which will take some creative green stuffing to remedy since the gaps are different for the terradon and ripper pieces.

As part of my temple display board, I picked up some Hirst Art Molds in order to cast some tiles for the square surrounding the temple. I forget the exact molds that I purchased, but two of them were actually Egyptian themed. It was nice to finally get to use them since they have been sitting in my closet for at least 2 years.

Here is a picture of my 25 pound bag of Merlin's Magic, which I ordered through a local MA distributor that was recommended on the Hirst website.

Here is a picture of my first cast. The whole process was actually really simple and the directions on the Hirst site were spot on. I eventually got to the point that I didn't even need a timer and could just tell by the look of the tiles if they were done. Also, thanks to my mom for the awesome fall-themed trivet! I've had this thing sitting around my apartment doing nothing for a year and now I finally have a use for it!

That's it for now, but hopefully tomorrow I will have sometime to post some additional pics.
jer732

Postby jer732 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:03 pm

A couple more pics. Hopefully these are more entertaining than the last ones.

These are the results of casting for literally 10 hours per day for 4 days in a row. I really should have bought some more molds to speed up the process, but at the same time it is very easy to do other things between casts like work on cages and terradons.

So here is how my temple will look eventually. I just did this to get the layout, but I will have to go back to glue and paint all the tiles first. I also need to figure out where exactly the units will be placed on the board so that I can incorporate the movement trays into the display board. The untiled section of board in the lower right corner is where I am going to do a marsh with some resin water effects. That will probably be the last part of the board to get done.

You might notice that I have cut the display board into quarters, each 12"x15". My idea is to build a frame for the board that is collapsible so that I can take the entire thing apart, including the levels of the pyramid, and pack it in an army case.

This last one is something like the color I am thinking of painting the tiles. It is a stone color with a yellow drybrush and then a brown ink. I didn't have the exact yellow color I wanted, but I think this is pretty close to what I want. Any opinions? Keep in mind I am doing an albino themed army.
jer732

Postby Guy In Suit » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:32 pm

Epic.

How much does this thing weigh?
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Next

Return to Modeling and Painting