Ideas for Modelling Slave Levies

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Ideas for Modelling Slave Levies

Postby -Thrax » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:53 pm

Looking for some brainstorming on this one. Ed had the idea a while ago about the "robot-heavy-weapon-gunner" as the rationale behind the Feel No Pain rule these guys have. I like that idea, but it won't fit with my idea, which is along the lines of a "Twist" Legion commanded by Inquisitor Eisenhorn ("twist" being mutants). Thing is, I don't want to do up a bunch of mutants a la LATD. I'd like a more uniform appearance -- quite literally, as I plan on using some standard IG minis as the basis for my army. I just haven't been able to determine which series (Cadian, Mordian, etc) would best suit the feel of a Twist Slave Legion. Obviously Catachans are more "ragtag" than the rest, but I'm avoiding them largely because I want a more armored feel -- these guys are going to have a 5+ armor, not the 6+ of the jungle-fighters. And I don't particularly care for the Tallarn series...just too blah.

Ideas?

T.
-Thrax

Re: Ideas for Modelling Slave Levies

Postby -LcKedovan » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:47 pm

Well for twists you will have to heavily convert to get that feel IMNSHO. ;)

-W
-LcKedovan

Postby -archmage45 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:10 pm

Well, mutations come in a wide variety of forms, from small and subtle to... well, chaos.

You could just do something like giving them an odd skin color, or get the plastic soft and stretch the legs a bit to make them taller... things like that.

Never having read the books, these ideas & comments are in no way based on anything you have read in them!

Archmage4
-archmage45

Postby -Thrax » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:03 am

No, that's cool, I'm looking for general feedback.

I'm not 100% wedded to the "twist" idea, it's just that the Eisenhorn route seemed the quickest and easiest way to explain why a bunch of slaves were being used.

I may go with Eisen's encounters with the Gudrunite Rifles...the ones he went with into that weird twisted space at the end of the first novel in the trilogy. They weren't "slaves" per se...but they did get a little "twisted" as a result of their experiences there.

Is there any line (Fantasy or 40K) that features a lot of "bald heads"? In trying to aim for a uniform appearance I may go for the weird skin colour idea, but I'd want to show it off more than on a standard IG mini -- thus I'd want to try for a bald-esque head (or one with little hair -- no armor/helmets, at least).

T.
-Thrax

Postby -decado » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:01 am

you could use the catchans and add the plastic ork arms, this would give you the uniformity that you were looking for. and not detract from the original models too much either
-decado

Return to Modeling and Painting