Anyone see the diatribe against NMM in this WD?

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Anyone see the diatribe against NMM in this WD?

Postby -Papa Gino » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:58 am

NMM = Non Metalic Metalics.

The guy's argument is basically that while NMM realistically captures shadows/reflections from one angle, walking around the model/changing the angle/etc. makes 'em look "wrong". Hence using NMM in most cases is "wrong".

He also apparently happens to be a Golden Daemon winner (or so he claims)...but his viewpoint was very, very strong.

Being that I have no experience with NMMs myself (never tried), was just curious a) if people noticed, b) what they thought, and c) what would GW's motivation be in devoting an entire page of WD to dissuading the unwashed masses (especially of Little Billies) from using NMM?
-Papa Gino

Re: Anyone see the diatribe against NMM in this WD?

Postby WickerNipple » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:30 am

I played Joe at Boston 2004 and he told me at the time that he gave my elves his Player's Choice vote. This took me aback because while I'm proud of my elves, I don't think they're *that* great...

Regardless, they're NMM....:lol

So: Joe either has recently changed his opinions on things or he's just a gross-faced liar!

Personally, I think the whole thing is just silliness. Paint your models as you please.
WickerNipple

Postby VectorAWX3 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:17 am

Yup.. paint in any fashion that makes you happy. After all, 50% of the people looking at your models are YOU!!!

I think NMM looks fine, if done well. If done poorly, it looks like shite. Plenty of people things that JUST because they do "NMM" they're models are kool. NOT true. It's like any other style of technique.

Done at a too level (like Matt's dragon princes) and it's pretty much unbeatable. But most people just can't pull it off.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby -Thrax » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:41 am

Whether dipping, or NMM, or any of the other latest trends, it all boils down to implementation. I've seen fantastic metallics, and terrible NMMs. As I'm sure we all have at this point. Anyone who tries to assert the ultimate ascendancy of one type over another is just an ideologue. Ignore them.

Read the article, didn't think it was that against NMMs...just a personal preference. And his stuff is pretty damn good, so...who am I to judge?

T.
-Thrax

Postby warmongerclub » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:59 pm

I am using NMM on my Tomb Kings in progress. Looking ok, I guess, but I am not Birdoff, and it is damn hard.

Why bother then when I know I can get a good effect with regular metallic? First off, I want to learn how to do it and there is no substitute for practice, and second, I am sick of metalic paint. Seriously. Has anyone else developed a loathing for metalic paints? Maybe after speed freeks (all rusty metallic vehicles), nurgle (same treatments for vehicles), necrons, and iron warriors, I've seen enough metallic paint to last a lifetime.

Jim
warmongerclub

Postby mauleed » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:17 pm

The next project I start (probably a confrontation army) I'll see if I can pull off NMM, because as Jim says, I'm sick of metal.

Metal's easy to pull off effectively, but eventually it leads to a certain sameness in your armies. Like Jim, I want to see if I can do NMM, even if only to prove it to myself.
mauleed

Postby -company13 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:18 pm

I agree Jim. Part of this hobby is the modeling, painting and just building all around fluff for your "stuff". So if trying out NMM is a goal and its something you want to give a try, then Im all for it.
I read that article in the WD as well. Im still trying to figure out his whole take on what he tried to get across. Coming from the biggest hobby magazine that supports Warhammer Id expect a bit more in favor of any type of painting. Keep the Warmachine rolling as so to speak. O wait thats another game all toghter
-company13

Postby -Lord Conquest » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:41 am

Well I guess the sales on metallic paints are down...
I haven't gotten my issue yet but I find it hard to believe any one can argue the virtues of realism for painting models of creatures that only exist in our deluded minds.
It reminds me of they strange little guy we used to play D&D with that just took things a tiny-winy bit to far... You know, wanting to get into a fist fight because his cleric kicks the bucket because or a bad roll or never letting the dwarven accent let up.. even out of character...

I really like the NMM style. Ive painted a couple of armies in the style (with no where near the skill of a Djinn or Matt B) and I am currently painting an army with with the traditional Metallics and washes.
Its all about what type of look you are trying to achieve (not to mention how much time you actually want to put into painting your army)...

My take is, do what you like and FRAG any one who doesn't like it...

Maybe he doesn't understand art is subjective. I guess he will critique Picaso next on anatomical correctness next. "That's not a Bull!!!"
-Lord Conquest

Postby WickerNipple » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:12 am

Ya, you're right.

Joe's stance in the article is very anti-art leaning.
WickerNipple

Postby subversive » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:55 pm

If you hold a metallic painted mini upside down, the lighting won't look correct either. All minis are painted with at least a general idea of source lighting, usually top-down. NMM just requires a more narrow perception of the "correct" source lighting
subversive

Next

Return to Modeling and Painting