Converting Warlocks on Jetbikes

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Converting Warlocks on Jetbikes

Postby Leenus » Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:39 am

Hey all. Does anyone have any ideas on how to convert warlocks on jetbikes. I have the jetbike models, but cannot simply cut the warlocks to fit as they are oddly posed. Are there any other models that I could chop up and sub? If possible I would like to keep green stuff to a minimum (i.e. to fill in gaps only) because i'm not good enough to mold capes, etc.

Thanks!
Leenus

Re: Converting Warlocks on Jetbikes

Postby -The Fabulous Orcboy » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:00 am

This is a really easy conversion. Find a Warlock figure with a relatively clear waist-line -- no sleeves or hands in the way. Cut across the waist. Pin to lower body of jetbike rider. Voila, you're set.

You don't have to model the lower parts of the robes, it's not really necessary unless you're a real stickler for it. From my perspective, I can't think of anything LESS comfortable when zipping along at 200+kph than long flowing robes... Plus, when you put on the canopy and paint it groovy Warlocky colors, it won't be that noticeable.

The Warlocks I've converted are listed on the GW online store as: 9947010402402 (Warlock with Force Rod 2), and 9947010402405 (Warlock with Witch Blade 1) -- which was a bit of a pain because of the left sleeve.

9947010406401 (simply named "Eldar Warlock") should be similarly a piece of cake, though you'd probably want to twist the right arm a little so that he doesn't look quite so silly with the position of the sword in his right hand. I'd stay away from trying to convert the others unless you're very good with a jeweler's saw or dremel, and very patient
-The Fabulous Orcboy

Postby -decado » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:43 pm

this is a step by step i did for some guys on L.O.

Tools required;
Dremmel
Glass engraving kit (yes really you get all manner of grinding and cutting blades in these)
Modelling putty (I use 2 part loctite its cheaper than gs and dries quicker)
Dental tools for sculpting (though an old butter knife does just as well)
Superglue (I use loctite gel dries quicker)
Safety goggles (YES MODELS CAN BE REPLACED EYES CANT)
Metal clipers
img53.imageshack.us/img53...2xn.th.jpg

Start pieces
I based this model on Eldorad Uluthuan, with the head of a warlock the bit on the front was from my bits box (when jetbikes were so much cooler). And a pair of plastic jetbike riders legs and the same models right arm.
img53.imageshack.us/img53...5jv.th.jpg

Stage 1
Clip out as much of Eldorads body as possible
Then using a drill bit carve out the remainder of the metal (Youll need to make this as thin as possible cause youll need to bend this)
The above stage took 2 hours with a dremmel so if you dont have one get a normal power drill.
Cut out a gap at the back as wide as the backrest
Picture 1
img53.imageshack.us/img53...1hq.th.jpg

Stage 2
Remove Eldorads head as carefully as possible
Ensure that you keep the bit attached to the back of his helmet
Smooth the neck part down to fit the head
Remove the warlocks head (try and keep the collar intact as well)
Smooth the underside of the head to fit into the groove on the body
Picture 2
img53.imageshack.us/img53...1pf.th.jpg
Picture 2a
img53.imageshack.us/img53...7fz.th.jpg

Stage 3
For the legs remove the pistol holster, pouch, and the spirit stone on the leg
Roll out some putty the length of the legs ensure that it is very thin
I find that working on a wet pallet works best here as it stops the putty sticking as much
Now put your riders legs on the putty and cut out a big pair of shorts about 1cm from the edge of the outer edge of the legs, and up the middle straight up to the crotch.
Wrap the 2 halfs of the putty between the legs round the respective leg then do the same for the outer parts of the leg. Make sure that the bottom part of the cloak is pinched a bit (to give the impression of the wind whipping around his legs.
Then attach to the jetbike
Picture 3
img53.imageshack.us/img53...5ht.th.jpg

Stage 4
Remove the right arm and smooth out the socket for the plastic arm
Attach the upper body to the lower body
Ensure that the arm will reach to the to the handle before you glue it to the lower body though
Once your happy with the above stage glue it down and attach the arm
Once the glue has dried cut another piece of putty the length of the arm and in a triangular shape
Attach the putty to the arm to give the impression of a sleeve
Do the same for his sword arm (I know I havent done this in the pic OOPS)
Picture 4
img53.imageshack.us/img53...2rn.th.jpg

Stage 5 the bike
Remember the back part from Eldorads helmet (its in the above pic as I did the bike whilst the putty was starting to harden)
Cut the spar that supports the seat and glue the bit here.
I also added the front part this was from the old metal jetbike so im afraid that it probably wont be still available (but I do still have one spare)

This whole piece took about 4 hours to do and most of that was coring out Eldorads body.
Now it isnt painted yet but heres some pics of the completed model.

Front
img53.imageshack.us/img53...7nq.th.jpg

Side
img53.imageshack.us/img53...3xc.th.jpg

And here it is painted ive added the left sleeve as well

front
img94.imageshack.us/img94...5fi.th.jpg

side right
img94.imageshack.us/img94...8ln.th.jpg

side left
img94.imageshack.us/img94...9ep.th.jpg

hope this helps
-decado

Postby deFl0 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:22 am

Another point that should be made, is that you don't need to stop at just the warlocks.

There are tons of conversion opportunities with the actual jetbike too.

Pete
deFl0

Postby Leenus » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:22 am

Awesome guide! Thanks a million for the replies.
Leenus

Return to Modeling and Painting