Iridescent Tyranids?

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Iridescent Tyranids?

Postby -dumbuket » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:55 am

I'm thinking of doing my tyranid army with an iridescent color scheme - the carapace a shiny, color-shifting green and the flesh black -eyes would probably be shadow grey or shiny black.

Question is, is there a particular kind of paint/undercoat that could easily achieve this effect? I'm looking for something relatively quick and painless - there's a lot of bugs, and I'm more excited about modeling and converting the tyranids than painting them.

Here's a picture for reference.

www.pestcontrolcanada.com...beetle.jpg
-dumbuket

Re: Iridescent Tyranids?

Postby Bauhaus » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:26 pm

I've been trying to get the "shiny green" effect for a while now. Most of my experiments have not worked well.

I'd be curious too. (I was after the bright green fly look.)
Blood for the Blood God!
Bauhaus

Postby elrodogg » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:33 pm

Try the metallic green paint and then hit it with a paint on gloss coat. that's what I would try to do.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby -tinfoil3 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:02 am

I once saw an impressive nid army in which the bugs' armor sections had been painted with this shimmery nail polish, creating a mother-of-pearl effect that looked pretty good.

Alternatively, Vallejo makes a blue-tinted metallic color that might look good.
-tinfoil3

Postby -Jarrett » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:51 am

There is absolutely a way of doing what you're talking about, I just forgot what it was called. |I

If you've ever seen the movie Swordfish it's got an example of this car that's got a color changing, almost iridescent quality which would fit what you're looking for nearly perfectly. They sell that paint on the cheap and you could easily use it for your carapace. I'll see if I can find out the name..
-Jarrett

Postby -dumbuket » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:26 am

Yeah, those are called color-shifting paints, I think. I know of some brainds, like HOK paint, which make them, but they're laquers, and they cost like 350 bucks a pop.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a water-based, or at least a an inexpensive, non-spray color-shifting paint. At any rate, that's exactly the effect I'm looking for - it'd be a much more time efficient way of doing eye-popping bugs.

I'd want a black-to-purple effect, with black skin and maybe dark-bone talons... all teeth and glittery carapace - and a bright blue tongue for contrast.

Maybe vallejo metallics might work?
-dumbuket

Postby -Jarrett » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:32 am

I've definitely seen cheap color shifting paint. I'm looking into it and I'll get back to you, but whatever color-shift colors are available I think you'd be better off than using regular paints for the speed and effect you're seeking
-Jarrett

Postby -NightGoblinHordeLeader » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:12 am

Inks usually have that sort of effect.

Possibly put ink in mithril silver. Blend as needed. Never tried it, but worth a shot.
-NightGoblinHordeLeader

Postby -dumbuket » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:02 am

Cool - thanks, Jarrett. I've heard a few people recommend "nail polish". On the plus side, if I went that route, I'd know exactly how to strip the paint afterward...

Nail-polish remover. :x
-dumbuket

Postby -decado » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:35 am

the quickest way of achieving this effect is to paint mithril silver then add some watered down green ink varnish it, then add the other colours that you want in successive layers painting smaller and smaller areas (you'll need to blend the edges a little as well) and varnishing each layer for the final highlight go back to the original mithril silver and add a extremely light drybrush then gloss varnish this.

i dicovered this accidently when i had to paint butt numbers onto our platoons pistols, and there are only 3 colours involved and they really look the part.

on the down side though it aint quick, you could probably manage to get about 10 done in a day, so if i were you id hold this back for 'special' models.
-decado

Next

Return to Modeling and Painting